Beetroot

• 4 Replies

martybenji

Beetroot
« on: March 08, 2018, 20:29 »
Can you keep beetroot in the ground over winter. I always lift mine in late autumn as I assume they won't grow much more, but can they survive until the spring without deteriorating ?

Mr Dog

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 21:54 »
I know perceived wisdom appears to be to lift them but I've always left mine in the ground with no problems. I harvested a couple on Tuesday which were absolutely fine even after the recent snow and frosts. I probably should add that they were a white (can't remember the exact variety but possibly Albino) and Golden Detroit, not red ones.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:01 »
I used to leave them in the ground until the local rodent population discovered they are edible, so now dig them and store them in damp compost, which works well
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snow white

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:11 »
Ditto that.  Local mice seem to like all my root crops if not lifted as soon as ready.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 13:45 »
I know perceived wisdom appears to be to lift them but I've always left mine in the ground with no problems. I harvested a couple on Tuesday which were absolutely fine even after the recent snow and frosts. I probably should add that they were a white (can't remember the exact variety but possibly Albino) and Golden Detroit, not red ones.

I have successfully harvested red type (boltardy) in the winter. In fact I have 3 jars pickling away nicely, lifted a few weeks ago. They looked, cooked and tasted fine prior to pickling. For last few years I've sown 2 lots of beet per year, one for normal harvest time and 1 for winter harvest. For me, they're fine until the soil starts warming up, when I'd fear they'd start to go bad.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 13:46 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

xx
beetroot

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 14:44
by Aidy
xx
beetroot

Started by randy radish on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 12:19
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Sow beetroot

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 22:40
by MoreWhisky
xx
Beetroot

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 04:07
by muntjac

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.