Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

Oliver

Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09 »
Also, I've got a bit confused on the peas issue.  Would this technique work? Is it just that peas don't grow so high?
I read somewhere here that some peas grow very tall, so perhaps they would work? Short ones would probably waste the space. I don't grow peas anymore - can't beat the lodgers as I always forget to spray the flowers at the right time ...
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2009, 18:11 »
I used an X frame last year with the middle of the X at just below shoulder height, far easier to pick than where the tops of the canes are joined - but probably not as easy as a Munty (didn't have room for that this year).

Don't suppose you can borrow a post rammer?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2009, 20:49 »
Shove your spade right in where you want to put the post's and give it a wiggle, then try putting the posts in.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2009, 22:42 »
Mmm. I did try digging a hole and wiggling the fork down at the bottom of it, but still no joy. I have to get the beans in by the end of this week as we are going away on Saturday, so I will just have to do what is easiest. The Munty might have to wait another year...
Rachael

Paul Plots

« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2009, 00:03 »
I dug down to make what looked like fence-post holes, rammed the posts in as best I could then back filled. (Did think of pouring in a can of water and waiting a bit to soften the clay but didn't need to). On the shorter posts I could reach easily to hammer them in a good way too.

If you have time now it might be worth it in the long run to make picking faster later.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gawk

« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2009, 07:43 »
I dug 2 ft deep holes for each of my 6 posts, back filled and firmed down with my feet as I went, this was done during the dry spell but wasn't too difficult. The holes should be easier to dig now the ground is wetter.
It's all too much!

vetskh

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2009, 10:26 »
I've finally managed to get around to building my bean frame, Munty's style, but was hoping to use half for runners and half for clinmbin french bean (cobra and poss blauhilde), does anyone know if its a problem to plant these close together with pollination??

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2009, 11:39 »
I always plant my Runners and Climbing French beans next to each other - i.e. left end of the row is Runners, right end of the row is French Beans.  I've not had a problem with the ones in the middle misbehaving!

Oliver

« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2009, 11:41 »
I've finally managed to get around to building my bean frame, Munty's style, but was hoping to use half for runners and half for clinmbin french bean (cobra and poss blauhilde), does anyone know if its a problem to plant these close together with pollination??
I would say its only a problem with pollination if you are going to save the seed so grow more beans. Could be an interesting variation if they cross-pollinate?
Oliver

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13 »
The Real Seed company has information on saving all sorts of seed here: http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html

They seem concerned with runners crossing with runners, or french beans crossing with french beans, so I'd assume they don't cross with each other.  My family grow runners near dwarf french beans in their garden and they've never had a problem, either.  On the other hand, it sounds like you may have problems if you're on an open site with other people growing beans.  I've only saved seeds from beans grown in a back garden, so I don't know how much of a problem that would be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2009, 18:07 »
I would be surprised if there was a problem with cross pollination of different types of beans.

I can see that different varieties of runner bean would cross pollinate but not so sure runners would cross with dwarf french so readily if at all.

If they do you might be in for an RHS award and loads of profit from breeding a new strain - doubtful though!  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2009, 22:11 »
Question Re roof string spacing.

The O.B.N.D. tells me that my strings are too close together, as a result the beans wont "fall" down across the roof but rather get tangled up in the string and the bean vine.

I see his point - I've got string every 5-6 inches whats the group thoughts about this ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2009, 22:30 »

The O.B.N.D. 

What's that mean dear ?

Lardman

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2009, 22:32 »

The O.B.N.D. 

What's that mean dear ?

"The Old Bloke Next Door" ... surely everyone has one  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38 »
This OBND thinks 5" to 6" apart for strings is fine.  :)

It's not as if the beans are suddenly going to appear full length then drop down or get tangled up. They will develop gradually and gravity will pull them downwards from the earliest of stages.

Stick to 5 or 6 inches and I think it'll be fine.  ;)

(Famous last words?)  ::)

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 45 queries.