Local elections

• 14 Replies

Lardman

Local elections
« on: May 04, 2023, 09:41 »
Looks like a very low turn out so far this morning, wonder if that's the new bring photo ID policy or general voter apathy.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Local elections
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 13:38 »
The ID thing doesn't bother me. I'm not voting because none of candidates are worth the shoe leather to walk to the polling station.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 15:49 »
Seemed very quiet up there just now when I’ve been, hubby sat in the car & has refused to vote :mad: & my son & dil aren’t voting & never do, then son & hubby went on & on about it all  :wacko:. Afraid I take the opinion if you don’t vote don’t ask about it or moan, I will always vote, those suffragettes didn’t go through all that they did for me to waste it!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 19:46 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 16:34 »
Actually, voting here, in one of the wards of Tunbridge Wells, the other main parties headed by The Alliance Party, managed to take away the Conservative majority, and got the super-expensive People’s Palace vanity-unwanted project chucked out, although we had to still pay all the bills of the hangers-on etc…

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/tunbridge-wells/news/the-bill-for-calverley-square-220113/

That really was a victory, and led by The Alliance Party, the whole non-project was scrapped! There are a few Reform party candidates on the ballot papers, but we need The Alliance to clobber the Conservatives, (whom we always voted for until the last poll), and maintain some semblance of order and frugality.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 17:53 »
Perhaps we should get a vote on the salaries of top council staff?
Keep digging

wighty

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 18:20 »
Was touched by an item on the local news this evening that one election has been cancelled and will be delayed by 35 days (think) due to one of the candidates dying during the night.  I think it was in  Poole, Dorset. I'm sure you'll still get a few voters who don't think this is 'right' but good on the Council for showing some respect.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 18:28 »
I met three different neighbours while going to /at / coming back from the polling station!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 06:18 »
We walked to the polling station at about 11am, when I asked if they'd been busy they said we put the number of voters up to 60.  Of the two candidates standing here the independent has been out gathering support but the other one has been notable for her absence!

I think it's apathy and a sense of 'fed up to the back teethness'. 

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 09:09 »
I’ve just seen our results & a 23% turnout  :wacko:

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 16:49 »
Just over 22% here, I'm actually surprised it was that high, it didn't look that busy.  Wonder what percentage of that 22% were postal votes.  We've changed colour - not surprising given the last lots actions not that it will make a blind bit of difference.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 20:46 »
My ward was 45%, I think the turnout across the elections was about 38%, which for local elections is not that bad.

GraciesGran

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2023, 06:19 »
Turn out here was about 29%.  The independent won and has already put 'thank you' notes through the doors.  We shall see.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2023, 09:16 »
Seemed very quiet up there just now when I’ve been, hubby sat in the car & has refused to vote :mad: & my son & dil aren’t voting & never do, then son & hubby went on & on about it all  :wacko:. Afraid I take the opinion if you don’t vote don’t ask about it or moan, I will always vote, those suffragettes didn’t go through all that they did for me to waste it!
Good on you Snows.  ;) Never thought about it like that before. I have a Suffragette's brooch on one of my coats. We would have gone but with OH's disability and me needing to be with him I didn't this time but have always voted before.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 15:02 »
Good on you Snows.  ;) Never thought about it like that before. I have a Suffragette's brooch on one of my coats. We would have gone but with OH's disability and me needing to be with him I didn't this time but have always voted before.

Perhaps register for a postal vote for the future GG?
Also my dad would turn in his grave if I didn’t (if he was in one that is & not in the sea off Spurn head where my ‘dear’ brother sprinkled his ashes!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 15:03 by snowdrops »

xx
Local elections

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
Local Elections

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 17:25
by RubyRed
xx
The local waste Tip

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 20:13
by grinling
xx
Shop local?

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 11:40
by New shoot

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 56 queries.