Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?

• 1 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:57 »
Hey all,

I had 2x light sussex and 1x RIR, all about a year old.

Recently i lost one of my sussex so i have been left with two hens. 

With the breed and age, they are likely to last another 3 or more years unless something happens.

I only have room for three (Eglu coop and smallish run restricts me as I have heavy breeds), and i want to introduce another hen, likely a point of lay blue bell.

Is this something i should be able to do if im careful, or is it likely to result in the new hen being picked more then i should allow?

Ive read its best to introduce two at once to a new flock, but i don’t have that option..

Cheers

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

helens-hens

Re: Introducing new hens - 2 v 1?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 13:41 »
Hi Lewjam. I am in a similar boat and would rather just take on 1 extra hen with the 2 that I have already. I think the general advise is to introduce 2 or more new hens at a time but there are threads on this forum from owners who have managed to add just 1.

Are you able to accommodate the new hen separately in a temporary run/house within sight of the others? This would a) allow you to quarantine the new addition and b) let the existing 2 start to get used to the new hen.

When they are all put together, have several feeding / watering stations and people also suggest somewhere where a new hen can hide and get a bit of refuge (I think somebody suggested a bucket on its side or similar).

My 2 are mean enough with the wild garden birds so although excited about a new addition, I am also worried about what will happen when I finally go ahead!

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Helen

xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing New Hens

Started by Barbiea on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 09:09
by broodyhen
xx
Introducing new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 16:54
by Chicken Pete

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.