Introducing New Hens

• 6 Replies

Barbiea

Introducing New Hens
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:38 »
I bought a "chicken kit" about five years ago with two Lohman hybrids (?spelling).  Sadly one died at Christmas.  I've been reading all I can about getting and introducing new hen/hens.  After a wait to see if the second hen (Clucky Lucky!) succumbed to the same fate, and a wait until we can be sure we'll be at home to act as a referee, we're about to go and get two more.  Clucky Lucky is big and 'fighting fit' but she is either lonely or thinks she's human, so i'm anticipating some trouble.  I've read that two or more introduced is best.  Some say put the new ones in the coop at night - but I would know if strangers came into my bedroom at night!  And what I've seen of hens so far tells me they are far from stupid. Others say to keep them separate but with visual contact.  Any further advice?

themagicaltoad1

Re: Introducing New Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:05 »
You'd be best keeping them separate for a couple of weeks in case of passing on any viruses. Let them see each other while they are separated, and then introduce the new ones into the coop at night. There's bound to be some squabbling at first so keep some purple spray handy in case they draw blood.

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 21:03 »
if you decide to keep them separate your going to need to house them so they can see each other from thier respective runs , personally i wouldnt bother i would put the new hens in after the other birds have gone in for the night and your going to lock them up and then wait till morning before letting the out i would suspend a few cabbages up and even a half dozen sweetcorn cobs
( frozen and thawed are ok) when you let the birds out in the morning throw a few handfulls of mixed corn around ,by diverting the resident birds attention your new birds should  assimilate quitly over a few days just top up the treats , a good manure /compost patch is a boon at this time a few forkfuls of rotting compost make a great attraction. as for quarantining them, these days reputable breeders have all the birds in top medical health before sale ,if you visit before buying you can chek out the place for youself . :)

yeh im back........
still alive /............

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 21:06 »
yeh im back........
Welcome home. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 22:17 »
ty ice  ;)

karenjayne

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40 »
we introduced two new girls to our only survivor with very few problems.  we put the two new ones (16 weeks)in a animal playpen, where they could be seen, and within two hours Goldie (our other one) wanted to be with them, so we put her with them.  When it was time to go in the coop, Goldie  looked after them, and then chased them up to bed, and became mother hen!

broodyhen

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09 »
^that's a lovely story  :D

xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens

Started by symonep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 07:53
by symonep
xx
introducing new hens

Started by arrbee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 12:08
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.