A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New to chicken keeping
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 21:08 »
Welcome to the site  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

MKD

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 22:38 »
Hi there, how many chickens have you?
Hi there as we are new to hen keeping so only got 4 at the moment we have a new coop that supposedly holds 6 to 8 birds but we decided to only keep 4 in there to give them plenty of room
As time goes on if we get along ok with hen keeping we will increase the size of the run coop and flock but want to take things a bit at a time. We have a biggish garden so going to let them out daily for a scratch around just getting them used to the coop first

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 16:38 »
Sounds like an excellent plan, I haven't got any now but our daughter has 3 and we get most of the eggs with none of the work ha ha. But I did like having them in the garden, this garden isn't suitable really & I considered having some at the plot but didn't want the faff of having to go X 2 a day in the wet & dark of winter days whilst I'm stil at work

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 21:28 »
Hi there as we are new to hen keeping so only got 4 at the moment we have a new coop that supposedly holds 6 to 8 birds but we decided to only keep 4 in there to give them plenty of room
As time goes on if we get along ok with hen keeping we will increase the size of the run coop and flock but want to take things a bit at a time. We have a biggish garden so going to let them out daily for a scratch around just getting them used to the coop first

Hi MKD, welcome to the forums.  I don't have any chickens now, but we have raised and sometimes bred our own, and at times had over 300 here!  ::)

I am pleased to see that you are not trying to jam 6-8 birds in your coop, as the manufacturers, especially Chinese made ones, usually say you can get more birds in a coop than is realistic, so only having the 4 in there is very sensible.  But beware, chicken keeping can become very addictive, so be prepared to buy another coop if you have the room!   :lol: :lol: ;)

MKD

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 00:39 »

Hi MKD, welcome to the forums.  I don't have any chickens now, but we have raised and sometimes bred our own, and at times had over 300 here!  ::)

I am pleased to see that you are not trying to jam 6-8 birds in your coop, as the manufacturers, especially Chinese made ones, usually say you can get more birds in a coop than is realistic, so only having the 4 in there is very sensible.  But beware, chicken keeping can become very addictive, so be prepared to buy another coop if you have the room!   :lol: :lol: ;)

Know what you mean I'm already planning my next coop I find this commercial one I bought a couple of weeks ago a bit small to be honest how the makers can say it holds 6 to 8 hens I will never know. We have our 1st 4 hens in there and although they look happy enough I'm NOT happy about the size of the run. The sellers of these coops and it was over £200 need to be a bit more realistic with the number of hens they recomend for these coops.
We are lucky enough to have a big garden so we are going to get a proper shed and make a pen of 23ft by 6 and a half foot. And hopefully increase our flock to a maximum of 10 hens eventually over time
Will try and post some pictures on hear when it's all finished if I can work out how to do it I'm not that great with computers etc I still have to type with one finger LOL
All the best to all max

Edit to remove duplicate quotes
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:46 by New shoot »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 13:28 »
Pleased to see how sensible you are being over the welfare of your hens Max.  The manufacturers don't care about hen welfare, they only care about the money they can make by selling these fairly cheap coops, knowing that someone like you, will be buying another one to accommodate the hens that you realise are overcrowded!   LOL

My partner built me lots of henhouses and coops over the years we had our chooks, one of them was a 6x4ft shed, which he then cut the side out of to accommodate the 10 hole rollaway nest boxes I bought, but for your hens you would be fine with 2-3 nestboxes inside.  Brian then made the perch so it went all down one side of the shed, but was removable so I could clean out easily and check for redmites.

Being a shed, it was so much easier for me to get inside for egg collecting and cleaning out.  I'll see if I can find a pic of the inside, but not sure if I've got one that shows the perch, I was more interested in my nestboxes which I was very proud off.  Rollaways are good, as it stops the eggs from being pooed on!   ;)

I was right, it doesn't show the perch on the right hand side! xx

After this photo was taken, we were given another same sized shed and Brian added it to the rear of this one so it ended up 12ft long!  The hens loved it in the winter if it was too wet outside!
6x4 shed2.jpg
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 13:29 by GrannieAnnie »

MKD

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 09:37 »
Pleased to see how sensible you are being over the welfare of your hens Max.  The manufacturers don't care about hen welfare, they only care about the money they can make by selling these fairly cheap coops, knowing that someone like you, will be buying another one to accommodate the hens that you realise are overcrowded!   LOL

My partner built me lots of henhouses and coops over the years we had our chooks, one of them was a 6x4ft shed, which he then cut the side out of to accommodate the 10 hole rollaway nest boxes I bought, but for your hens you would be fine with 2-3 nestboxes inside.  Brian then made the perch so it went all down one side of the shed, but was removable so I could clean out easily and check for redmites.

Being a shed, it was so much easier for me to get inside for egg collecting and cleaning out.  I'll see if I can find a pic of the inside, but not sure if I've got one that shows the perch, I was more interested in my nestboxes which I was very proud off.  Rollaways are good, as it stops the eggs from being pooed on!   ;)

I was right, it doesn't show the perch on the right hand side! xx

After this photo was taken, we were given another same sized shed and Brian added it to the rear of this one so it ended up 12ft long!  The hens loved it in the winter if it was too wet outside!
What a great set of nest boxes Annie your partner was very talented I am quite good at Diy but I have health issues at the moment which restricts what I can do and it's very frustrating. I have always wanted to keep hens again one day as we used to keep a few when I was a kid myself and my siblings used to watch em pecking about the garden they were great fun as I remember. As you said Annie why do these company's encourage people to cram to many birds into a coop. When my new coop and run is built I will sell this one as it will still be vertualy new as a 4 bird coop and NOT a 8 bird as  advertised when I bought it. All the best Annie

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 22:00 »
Thanks Max, Brian is a carpenter by trade, but he didn't build the nest boxes, they are mainly metal.  But he did build most of my other henhouses and coops.

Rollaway nest boxes can be bought, things like this one below, if you can't do it yourself. but people make nest boxes out of so many things these days to save a few bob!  As long as the chickens are in a nice dark space, with lots of bedding, they should be fine, mind you, they may all try to lay in the same box at the same time!  They are like that! LOL

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/housing-incubation-brooders/poultry-housing-nest-boxes/chickbox-with-roll-out-nest-bottom-with-lid-brown-/

We had a couple of these ones too, but they've gone up a bit in price since i got mine!  Mind you, the 10 hole one that was in my photo is £225 now, I paid £150!  Wow, what a difference in 10 years!   

moved
MOVED: Chicken poop help

Started by Yorkie on Welcome to the Forums

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2021, 21:26
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.