Photos to compare with ( cayenne peppers)

• 16 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Photos to compare with ( cayenne peppers)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 09:57 »
How do you manage to keep your plans overwintered JayG? Whatever I seem to do they just die.

When it comes to overwintering chillies, I'm a disciple of the late, great, John Cushnie ( Gardeners Question Time). I quote " Don't bother messing about, throw them away and grow new ones".

3 years is the maximum I've kept cayennes, not because they died on me but it seems to be a good idea to start from scratch before they start to decline, especially, as I mentioned earlier, I don't even re-pot them.

They get quite a severe haircut in autumn, and although they slow down in winter, they never completely stop growing or producing fruit. 24/7/365 on the same 'sunny' windowsill - they would almost certainly not overwinter successfully even in a greenhouse, and it could well be that cayennes are considerably more robust than many other varieties.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

Re: Photos to compare with ( cayenne peppers)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 18:00 »
When it comes to overwintering chillies, I'm a disciple of the late, great, John Cushnie ( Gardeners Question Time). I quote " Don't bother messing about, throw them away and grow new ones".

That may be so but I would have thought that they would grow stronger in second and third years.

I've got some physalis which is into its fourth year (I know its not the same as a pepper) but last year it cropped several weeks earlier and much heavier than an equivalent plants grown from seed.

xx
Cayenne Peppers

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2011, 23:57
by compostqueen
xx
Help! Cayenne peppers

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 21:54
by bigsprouts
xx
Accidentally overwintered cayenne peppers

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 11:27
by sunshineband
xx
go compare

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2021, 11:09
by jezza

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 37 queries.