Head shaking??

• 10 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Head shaking??
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:59 »
I posted a few days ago asking if Nelly might be broody. Since then it become apparent that she isnt, but there's still something wrong and I can't pin point what the problem is. She's eating and drinking as normal, wandering around as normal, but she's lost some of her Nelly spark, seems a bit dazed and very occasionally stumbles. She's lying down alot, not puffed up or hunkered down, just lying down with her tail feathers held high and today she's started shaking her head. They're in the process of being wormed, cant see any mites or lice anywhere on them or the coop and her temperature is fine. She's also stopped laying, but all 3 seemed to have stopped the regularity of laying and I'd put that down to them getting old and worn out. Any ideas anyone??
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

daisy1990

Re: Head shaking??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 13:15 »
head shaking can be a sign of cerebral irritation, this may also explain why she is stumbling- how old is your hen? can you get her to a vets?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 18:42 »
She's an ex-battery hen and I think she's about 2-2 and a half. I can get to the vet tomorrow, of she's not improved, I'll take her for a check up. She's been out and about today, eating again, but has long periods of just standing and staring. She's not a well girl, but doesnt seem unwell...if that makes any sense?? Poor Nelly Noo :( xxx

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 18:54 »
Poor you and Nelly.  It's horrible when you try to do your best for your girls, but sometimes you can't do anything about it.  Big hugs to you both  :(  :(

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 19:25 »
lets hope for the best hens are a bit like children- they can soon be unwell but can recover just as quickly- heres hoping for the best for her and let us know how she gets on

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 20:15 »
Good luck to you and Nellie, Carla.  Keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:51 »
When I let the girls out this morning there was a broken egg underneath where Nelly perches, it was a soft shelled egg, yolk and whites normal, but the membrane and shell were seperate and looked as if they'd been squashed?? This is the 2 egg in a week and they've both been soft shelled. She seems brighter though, still a tiny bit stumbly though. When  my toddler goes down for his nap, I'll go and watch her for a while and see how she is. Looking a bit happier than yesterday anyway :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59 »
Laying soft shelled eggs does make them feel under the weather. It could be that she is coming to the end of her egg laying. She has done well though for a battery hen and I'm sure she appreciates the better life you are giving her. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 13:13 »
I was thinking it might be due to her coming to the end of her egg laying days....can't say I'm sad, she's done more than her bit for Britains egg production  :mad:  She's loads better today, was just watching her have a lovely dust bath, whereas yesterday she just stood watching the others bathe, looking dazed. She's had the happiest retirement ever, been spoiled to bits and had more space that she could ever have hoped for, so if she's winding down now, so be it xx

daisy1990

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 13:30 »
lovely to hear the happy ending!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 13:45 »
Anyone any idea WHY laying soft shelled eggs makes them poorly??

xx
head shaking

Started by animartco on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 23:07
by henamoured
xx
shaking head

Started by bee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 17:54
by bee
xx
Head shaking - don't know why?

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 18:42
by alisonwo
xx
Head Shaking/Bubbly Eyes

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 19:38
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 35 queries.