The process is finished - building a chicken run

• 50 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: The process begins - building a chicken run
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 20:35 »
Well done Elcie, it's looking really good.
When we made ours I found the mesh to be really difficult too.

Elcie

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 20:46 »
I'm not on Heelands, but am in MK.  I was cutting the weldmesh fine with some cutters my brother lent me, getting it flat enough to staple it was probably the hardest part.  I used the earlier advice and put the weldmesh on the door panel whilst it was on the floor and it was sooo much easier.  Would definitely advise people to put the mesh on before putting the frames together, although with my very poor measuring skills I kind of had to build it as I went along to fit the uneven floor.

This is tonight:

Not much left to do other than the roof which I have put off until the last thing!  I have
the onduline sheeting just need to cut it and fix it.  Oh and there's the guttering too but that I'm finding tricky as there isn't much space to work with.

The picture actually doesn't look that much different to a couple of days ago as you can't see the door or all the painting I've done!  You can see the extra roof supports though, a couple of dustbaths and some woodchip on the floor!

Sue - the girls are at my allotment so as soon as it is ready they can move in.  The eglu is due to be delivered tomorrow so I am hoping it will be ready Wed/Thurs latest.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 18:22 »
I like the idea of the flower troughs fastened on the sides.
what are the pink spikey looking things in the run?
I'm really impressed with your handy work. Well done.
Loved watching it all progress. don't forget to put on piks when its all complete with the Eglu in place.

Elcie

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 21:43 »
I can hardly believe it but the girls are here!  I had a friend visit unexpectedly today so didn't get it 100% done but it is fox proof and pretty much rat proof.  It was an experience getting the girls into the boxes to move them over here, but they are now here and I am so happy.

People ask whether chickens have memories, well it was my two chickens Nugget and Daisy who lived in an Eglu 18 months ago who went straight to bed in it.  The other girls bless them preferred the log in the run but I moved them in when they were sleepy and all seems well.

I will post one final picture on this when it is completely finished and will also give some advice that I have learnt - eg weldmesh is hard to work with at 1.6mm and why on earth did I put the roof supports above the level of the surround when it would have been much better completely level!  But you live and learn.

Elcie

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 21:45 »
I like the idea of the flower troughs fastened on the sides.
what are the pink spikey looking things in the run?
I'm really impressed with your handy work. Well done.
Loved watching it all progress. don't forget to put on piks when its all complete with the Eglu in place.

Thank you  :D

The pink spikey things are bird feeders that I bought from Poundland.  I thought they looked nice!  There is also a blue on to the very left in front of the Eglu which we put a slice of bread in today but the girls have so many other new things they don't seem to bothered by it!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42 »
Well done Elcie, you should be really proud of what you have achieved.  Hope that your girls settle in to their new home and you can finally sit with a cuppa and enjoy watching them.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 20:28 »
That is absolutely amazing!  Your girls are so lucky!!  I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with them, and I hope they lay you lots of eggs  :D  congrats with the whole thing  :D
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 20:30 »
great, well done  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 21:05 »
It looks great, well done. Is the eglu on a table/platform thing? Love the bird feeders too (i'm going to steal that idea).  :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 22:03 »
Ah thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I am proud of myself and it is so lovely sitting at the table watching them!

Jak - please take any ideas!  I haven't used them other than to put a slice of wet bread in one but they didn't eat it!  May pop something else in them at some point but they look nice!

The eglu is on my old garden table and has a chair in front of it.  They hop onto the chair then the table and into the eglu.  Just gives them that extra space underneath that they wouldn't have if it was on the ground.  I have started collecting twigs as would really love to make them a twig latter and move the chair as this would give them more space.  Although having said that they do form a kind of queue in the mornings when they are wanting to lay their eggs at the same time and they stand on the chair waiting for the nest box to become free!

NormandyMary

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 22:43 »
That is a fabulous run. Wouldnt like to come over and do mine would you? Your girls are going to be so happy in it Im sure.

Elcie

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 22:57 »
Hi everyone,
my final picture:

Thank you all so much for the helpful comments and advice as I have gone along.  It has really helped to know that you were all here.  It wasn't an easy process and there were times I felt like giving up if I was honest, but it has all been worth it in the end and I am happy to have them back in the garden.

It is such a small space that I had to be careful of how I planned it so that I still had some garden left for Lewie (dog) and Oliver (grandson).  I think I have achieved the balance and it works well.

I found the weldmesh very difficult to work with and in hindsight may have put it onto the frames before putting them up, although I would have then had to be much more careful of the sizes/measurements.

I wanted something that the girls would live happily in and also that would look ok in my garden.  I have achieved that!

Good luck to everyone else and if anyone out there is wondering whether or not they can do this I say go for it - if I can do it anyone can  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: The process is finished - building a chicken run
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 08:50 »
It's lovely Lisa!  You are right to be proud of yourself!  :)

MellowYellow

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 15:49 »
It looks brilliant Elcie!!!

I saw your post about the bird feeder and have to say I nicked the idea aswell  :blush:

I filled a fat ball feeder with leaves and berries that I know they love (they nick enough of them from my veg patch!!!).

They loved it!

What a great idea of yours.   Thank you.   :)   :)
What is it about my kitchen that is so more appealing to the chickens than the back garden!!!   ;-)

NovaStar

• Urban Hippy
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 16:02 »
That's a gorgeous set-up!
I can only hope ours looks as good when we're done!

Love the wall baskets on the front
~.~ You can only fly as high as the dreams you are to live ~.~

xx
Building your own Chicken run plans....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 04:04
by Selfsufficientme
xx
Coop and run finished....Acquired 4 cockerels!

Started by Judd on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 17:21
by Judd
xx
Pinching an idea for a good post...NOW FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

35 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 17:17
by min200
xx
Building up!

Started by Chuckles on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:21
by Chuckles

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.