allotment chickens

• 3 Replies

snow white

allotment chickens
« on: December 20, 2013, 18:43 »
Thought I'd update on my Lottie chickens.  Don't know if you remember, but I had concerns about taking my chickens up to my allotment.  It's all turned out great.  I see them two or three times a day.  They are healthy and happy and still laying.  I have increased to four.  I did have a bullying problem, so I separated them, so that they are in adjacent coops and runs.  Two in each.  Works well for me.  If I can't make it, I have a chicken auntie to care for them.  One has been a bit poorly, but poultry spice has perked her up, although she has ever only laid one egg.  She is my favourite as she chuckles rather than squawks at me ! And is happy to be picked up, she always has been.  I have one big clean out once a week, which takes about half an hour.  They recognise me from the allotment gates with their squawks.  They love chard,, of which I have plenty, and slugs if I find any.  I run an organic plot and they play an integral part of crop rotation.  What were my worries again?  Just love them. :D

grinling

Re: allotment chickens
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 20:35 »
glad it is working well. don't bother with the slugs as they might have worm eggs.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:19 »
I agree leave off the slugs - otherwise you will have to worm them with frontline which is not organic but the only Defra recognised wormer for poultry. Apart from that glad you are having fun with them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 15:23 »
when taking fresh water down in snow times, don't take warm as it freezes quicker.

xx
Chickens on the run

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:50
by splash101
xx
What chickens are these???

Started by Carla on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 06:47
by sneezer
xx
My Chickens

Started by Haychee on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 19:59
by NormandyMary
grin
Our first chickens are here!

Started by Pepperpincushion on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 16:03
by Pepperpincushion

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.