Hi + Onions sets & snow

• 6 Replies

KuleRucket

Hi + Onions sets & snow
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:56 »
HELP!!!

Hi all, I am new to the forum and I have found some really useful information already so I decided to sign up. I am from the UK but live in Germany at the moment. My wife and I got an allotment last year (~350sqm) and at the beginning we were pretty clueless. We got it in March and there was a bit of work to do to get it into shape so we never really caught up last year. We did learn a great deal though and ended up with a really good crop. This year we sorted everything during the winter so now we are starting on the right foot.

Anyway, the main reason for my post is that last weekend we had a warm few days so I decided to plant a load of onion sets out. Last night however, it dropped to -5C and today it's snowing heavily. Tonight and tomorrow night the temperature is set to drop again to -6C and -7C but it should then warm up again for the next two weeks according to the forecast. I have read that onions are pretty hardy and tolerant to a bit of frost but this weather is worrying me a bit. I planted the onions fully covered so maybe they will be OK but I'm not sure.

Should I be prepared to buy more sets and re-plant or do you think it should be OK?

Thanks in advance for any help.

8doubles

Re: Hi + Onions sets & snow
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49 »
Snow can protect plants, they are better off under a blanket of snow than they are out in sub zero winds.
With luck and a good fast thaw your onion will be ok. :)

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 14:23 »
The most likely side effect is that more of the sets will bolt than usual. Onions have a two year life cycle, growing a bulb in year one and flowering in year two. Exposing the sets to a hard frost will make more of them realise it's year two and they'll try and flower.

KuleRucket

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 17:05 »
Thanks it looks like the snow is melting fast now so I hope it protected them from the frost a bit.

If they are going to bolt is it easy to tell early so that I can replace those ones? Will it start flowering quickly maybe?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 17:10 »
You won't really know until it's too late to buy/plant any more!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

KuleRucket

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 13:22 »
Oh well, I'll just have to see what happens and learn from it. Maybe I'll plant some more just in case.

simonwatson

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 16:09 »
If the onions do bolt, it's not the end of the world. Be vigilant looking for flower stalks and remove them immediately. The onions can still be eaten but they won't stored well.

xx
Broad beans, onion sets and snow

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 20:32
by muntjac
xx
pickled onions from sets?

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 19:26
by bigben
xx
Onions from sets or seed ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:54
by Salmo
xx
shallots and onions from sets

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 19:49
by Ice

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.