Need names for hens...

• 27 Replies

Kaye

Need names for hens...
« on: April 01, 2011, 14:48 »
Hello
We are collecting 4 hens next week and want funny names for them. So far we have
Mother Clucker and Atilla the Hen
Any ideas?
Ex battery hens were the perfect choice!

hillfooter

Re: Need names for hens...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 14:59 »
Hello
We are collecting 4 hens next week and want funny names for them. So far we have
Mother Clucker and Atilla the Hen
Any ideas?

That's a very naughty post Kaye this being a family site, Atilla the Hun isn't very popular round here!
Truth through science.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 15:50 »
Wait and see what your girls are like. That way their appearance, or walk, etc might determine what they're called. I call one of mine Evil Edna as she's such a horror  :)
I have a girl with a wonky beak so she could be called Snozzle etc etc.  I'm sure you get my drift  :D

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 16:10 »
Hi
I agree with compostqueen wait and see their personalities, we have one that we named Sookie but if we had waited we would have called her Road Runner for the speed she runs.
There's also names like Korma & Tikka which might suit your sense of humour.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Chickway

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 16:37 »
Yes two of original hens that have caused me to catch the chicken bug are called salt and pepper as one is white and the other black.  Although I like the Evil Edna name for the black one as she is evil and causes me the most trouble

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 21:07 »
I saw my hens doing karate on the first day I had them so they are all named after super heroes: Lara Croft, Buffy the egg slayer and Gee Girl from the film, 'my ex girlfriend is a super hero'.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 21:29 »
Kentucky and Fingerlicking  :D :D :D :D :D :D I still haven't named ours yet so it will be interesting to follow this post

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

eveybee

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 22:05 »
Mine are Gloria and Pepper. I Like Delilah and Matilda though.....?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 22:15 »
most of mine are named after rock and roll music stars - amongst the boys there is a Big Boppa, Chuck Berry and Eddie Cochran - amongst the hens who are named after 40's and 50's music and film stars there is Sophia la hen, Marilyn, Claudette, Brenda Lee, Little Eva, Etta James, Mrs Rhythm (her best mate Mrs Blues died last year as did rock, roll and doo wop  :(), Jezebel, Diana Dors etc   
Staffies are softer than you think.

joodith

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 23:05 »
You definitely have to wait and see what they're like. Mine are Vera....just because it suits her, and GP, who was originally Mrs Sprinkles because whenever she drinks she shakes her head and sprinkles water everywhere. My husband started to refer to her a Greedy Pig because she's always the first in line for treats etc. This was shortened to GP which has stuck, although sometimes I call her Jeep.

You'll find that they all have their own personalities and their names will probablt just pop into your mind without too much deliberation about it.  Do let us know the outcome!  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:27 »
I recently heard of a hen named Gwyneth Poultry.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00 »
how about 'Princess Layer' :)
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 13:21 »
I recently heard of a hen named Gwyneth Poultry.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chrysalis

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 14:53 »
We chose all sorts of names four our four girls, like Brenda, Beryl, Edna,  Phyllis etc. but when they came they were suddenly Olga, Wilma, Nesta(nester) and Bluebelle.  They just seem to find there own... enjoy! C

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 20:51 »
I no longer name my hens as there are far too many of them though I do still name some cockerals (my breeding cocks).  Currently we have Sylvester (a Vorwerk and my avitar), Nicholas II my Russian Orloff cock, and Boris another Orloff.  Stanley, Squawker, Sidney, Rastus, Rasputin, Hercules and others whose names I have forgotten have all come and gone.

When I did name hens I used to name ones from the same hatching season using a common theme for example, flowers, pop stars (the spice girls were popular at the time) or all with the same initial letter, hence Sylvester, Sidney, Stanley Squawker were all contempories.  This was useful as it served to age them.

Whatever method you use it's more memorable if it fits their character.
HF

xx
Chicken names.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

58 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 20:05
by ANHBUC
xx
names for chickens

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

50 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 13:11
by Flowerpower136
xx
weird names for our chooks

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

48 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 19:22
by bengigirl
xx
Dumbest chicken names...

Started by chasechicken on Chicken Chat

33 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 17:12
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 29 queries.