Autumn fruiting raspberries

• 22 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« on: April 21, 2013, 18:14 »
I bought 5 canes (but got 7) from Blackmoor Nurseries in Feb and planted them out with plenty of good compost and BFB. So far I have nothing showing - I am not too worried as I am guessing they will be later to get going this year because of the weather. My question is - what am I looking for as growth? Will small leaves be coming out from the base or will I get some 'buds' or something on the short bit of stick I have? I am just worried I will weed out something that is actually the cane growing...

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Re: Autumn fruiting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 19:56 »
Small leaves from shoots coming off the base of the cane is what you look for. Mine are just starting to develop now.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 20:01 »
You get new growth up from the roots - but a bit later than normal on newly planted ones ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 20:10 »
Ok, thanks. I will keep looking then. Of all the things I want to work this year it is the raspberries!

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 21:01 »
My raspberries are the ones where last years new stems are this years fruiting stems  ... I have lots of leaves on mine, need to think about how to retain them this year .... last years V supports were too short, I kept pinch out the stems and they still kept growing!!! They ended up 6' and drooping over ... with the wet whether I had to harvest everyday otherwise they just went to mush!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 21:08 »
That is one of the main reasons I went for autumn rather than summer fruiting.if you google raspberry supports there are some good examples of ones you could build.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
No sign of life on my raspberries....
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 14:15 »
I bought some autumn fruiting raspberries (polka) in Feb from Blackmoor Nurseries and planted them out with plenty of compost etc. I still can't see any shoots anywhere and now I am starting to worry that perhaps they are dead - the rest of the plot is springing to life so I know the soil etc is fine.

Have other people's started to shoot up yet and how long should I leave it before I say they are dead? Is there a way of checking if they are alive/dead?

There are only 2 crops I was desperate to be successful this year - raspberries being one of them so I will be gutted if they are all dead somehow..

Beetroot queen

Re: No sign of life on my raspberries....
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 14:53 »
I bought some autumn fruiting raspberries (polka) in Feb from Blackmoor Nurseries and planted them out with plenty of compost etc. I still can't see any shoots anywhere and now I am starting to worry that perhaps they are dead - the rest of the plot is springing to life so I know the soil etc is fine.

Have other people's started to shoot up yet and how long should I leave it before I say they are dead? Is there a way of checking if they are alive/dead?

There are only 2 crops I was desperate to be successful this year - raspberries being one of them so I will be gutted if they are all dead somehow..

Ours are covered in new growth so maybe it's not a good sign

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 15:06 »
Oops - sorry for setting up 2 separate threads - I couldn't find my original one. I will be inspecting them carefully next weekend as it isn't sounding promising...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 16:43 »
None of my three polkas have come up this year, they didn't like the cold and wet of last year. I have heard from a few people on our site where their polka died in the cold and wet.

Mine were only planted in 2011, so I dug one up to check and there is no new growth at all on it, where there is on my older ones of unknown variety.
Anne

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 16:48 »
I bought some Polka from Blackmoor last month and so far nothing.  I'm hoping that they're just taking their time and concentrating on putting out roots.... :(
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 16:54 »
I bought some Polka from Blackmoor last month and so far nothing.  I'm hoping that they're just taking their time and concentrating on putting out roots.... :(

I have been reading several old raspberry threads as well (useful the related threads at the bottom!) and Blackmoor Nurseries crops up a lot when there are problems....

I am beginning to think I might as well have gone to pound land rather than invest in what I thought were quality plants!

Let me know if yours start shooting..

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 17:14 »
Let me know if yours start shooting..
Oh dear... :(  I shall indeed let you know and if they don't, I'll be letting Blackmoor know too!  >:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 17:34 »
Blackmoor are one of the larger suppliers so they are bound to have a problem now and again, as a ratio of the amount they supply.
I've honestly not noticed more complaints about their fruit bushes than others though, I've always found they supplied good quality at a reasonable price.

I think that your plants will be fine, just later than usual because of the cold spring - they have a lot of root growing to do before the top growth starts. The new growth on my established Autumn rasps is only just starting - so have patience with yours  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 18:31 »
Blackmoor are one of the larger suppliers so they are bound to have a problem now and again, as a ratio of the amount they supply.
I've honestly not noticed more complaints about their fruit bushes than others though, I've always found they supplied good quality at a reasonable price.

I think that your plants will be fine, just later than usual because of the cold spring - they have a lot of root growing to do before the top growth starts. The new growth on my established Autumn rasps is only just starting - so have patience with yours  ;)

This is true - more supplied = more dodgy ones but still the same percentage overall.

At least my sweetcorn seem to be doing well (the other crop I am desperate to get right in my first year!)

xx

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 17:48
by londongardener
xx

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 14:33
by Yorkshire Lass
xx

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 21:20
by RJR_38
clip

Started by EssexPete on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 26, 2018, 19:57
by greenjay

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 37 queries.