run floor

• 21 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
run floor
« on: July 24, 2007, 09:12 »
what do you all have on the floor of your runs? at the mo till my onions/sputs are all out, mine is on the grass which makes it impossible to clear up the poo, so what to you put down on the ground to make it easier to clear up?

cheers
SG

Blondie

run floor
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:04 »
I have aubiose on my run floor, its very absorbant and its easy to pick up the poo but lately it has got quick messy, wind blows it about the garden quite a bit. Thinking of using wood bark, lots of people have said thats very good so you could use that.

x

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
run floor
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 11:19 »
Half of mine is tiled ! lol laid a floor tile path at the side of the shed years ago and then the run was built over it later, the other is just soil sometimes I used to chuck a sack of bark chippings in. Then I just turned the soil over every month or so.

I'm considering a concrete floor with bark chippings for my next batch of hens easy clean and less chance of parasite build up. Though I'm not sure whether the hens would like concrete much  :?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Des C

run floor
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 14:58 »
I use chipped bark and then dig it in or rake it up for compost every few weeks. This also helps keep the birds' feet dry (or at least out of the muck) during our wonderful summer weather.
I'M MOVING TO FRANCE!!!!!

Des C

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
run floor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 19:02 »
aubiose - not cheap though is it? better than good old hay? i.e. worth the extra? but I am wanting to keep costs down as these girls aren't supposed to be costing me an arm and both legs :D

Have heard concrete isn't good for the the girls as I was going to put mine where we have some concrete but was advised against it, hence going on the veg patch.
Well from what I am reading (thanks for the replies they all help my amateur mind) bark is the way forward wish I could find it "dirty cheap". I am still thinking about putting straw down, only a thin layer and replacing it every couple of weeks.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
run floor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 19:09 »
If your moving them regular every month or so around your patch I would not bother and just leave em on the bare soil.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
run floor
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:46 »
I might not be able to move them about after all...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
run floor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 17:09 »
Let's have a recap on your arrangements so far SG

How many hens

Size of ark/shed

Size of run

Is run to be covered, partially covered, uncovered

Coz I've lost the gist  :oops:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
run floor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 18:35 »
:lol: so have I and getting so much differing advice from all over the place is confusing as well :D

Hens - 3

arc - 4x4x4ft

run - 6x6ft half covered

yeah I am the annoying new person that asks and asks loads of questions, even though I have read 20 different answers to my questions :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
run floor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 20:02 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"

yeah I am the annoying new person that asks and asks loads of questions, even though I have read 20 different answers to my questions :D

Only 20 ! must be a quite day  :lol:  and no your not annoying "knowledge is power Mr Watts"  :wink:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
run floor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 21:10 »
Bark chunks (I use play bark) keep in good condition for a long time. The deeper the better.  They will dig down to the soil for worms and bugs (I have a membrane under mine to prevent that) which will mix it up .  Give it a sprinkle of garden lime occasionally to neutralise and deodorise and a light forking over.

My run for 2 chooks is only 6' x 3' but they free range the whole garden much of the time.  I have all the run covered and can shovel out the dried poo which turns into a compost like material and leave the bark chunks behind.

You're just going to have to have a go at whatever takes your fancy and see how it works for you.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Turf
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 10:06 »
I have a small run which we cover every couple of months with turfs obtained as seconds from a local garden centre.  We pay about £1 each and it takes three to cover the run.  The garden centre are very willing to supply me as the turfs would otherwise be put into the bin.

The old turfs are lifted and laid poo side down on the compost heap when finished with.  In the winter we just use bark chippings.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Gloria

run floor
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 14:52 »
Hi Sadgit
our run started off with lovely grass and that disappeared very fast :cry: So then it was soil and dust and lots of dustbaths which the girls seemed to like. Then the rain started... :cry: and carried on :cry: so then it was mud and lakes and as I kept nearly falling over we put straw down which seems quite good. Even when we get the occasional dry day the girls seem to like to scratch around in it so everyone's happyish but grass was definitely our favourite  :wink:
And the thing with straw is once you start to shake it out the bale falls apart and it goes everywhere so you have to get big plastic sacks to put it in. Well that's what I did - does anyone have any nifty tricks with straw bales :?:  :!:  :!: Good luck !

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
run floor
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 20:44 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Half of mine is tiled ! lol laid a floor tile path at the side of the shed years ago and then the run was built over it later, the other is just soil sometimes I used to chuck a sack of bark chippings in. Then I just turned the soil over every month or so.

I'm considering a concrete floor with bark chippings for my next batch of hens easy clean and less chance of parasite build up. Though I'm not sure whether the hens would like concrete much  :?

richy, do you find the soil stinks after a while?

purplebat

run floor
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 22:35 »
Quote from: "Gloria"
And the thing with straw is once you start to shake it out the bale falls apart and it goes everywhere so you have to get big plastic sacks to put it in. Well that's what I did - does anyone have any nifty tricks with straw bales :?:  :!:  :!: Good luck !

we're very lucky at the farm where we get our straw they bag the bales for you, it costs 50p extra if you want it bagged but trust me, it's worth it! and I shall keep the bag so next time I can bag it myself at no extra cost  :wink:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68
xx
Run floor?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:24
by grumpydad
xx
Floor of the Run - What do you use?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 11:21
by dennis
xx
floor of run

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 16:37
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 33 queries.