cottage cheese

• 17 Replies

chrissie B

cottage cheese
« on: January 15, 2008, 18:12 »
i tryed the recipie from the forum and it wasent what i was hoping for , maybe i did something wrong it did seperate but didnt make the little lumps that is cottage cheese , any ideas  :(  :(  :(
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
cottage cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 22:46 »
Home made cottage cheese comes out  differently to store bought, I suppose it's a matter of taste but we prefer the texture of home made -as in the recipe on the site Home Made Cottage Cheese
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
cottage cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 22:56 »
Quote from: "john"
Home made cottage cheese comes out  differently to store bought, I suppose it's a matter of taste but we prefer the texture of home made -as in the recipe on the site Home Made Cottage Cheese

Will give that a go John, OH likes it, don't know if I've ever tried it  :oops:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

cottage cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 22:58 »
I just read that recipe, which is in my mind a substitute for what it is traditionally made out of is yoghurt, so you don't need any acid additives, it's already there.

And it wont be lumpy, Chrissie, it is not supposed to be. I 've always wondered how they achieved that in supie cottage cheese. :lol:

which is a pain in using, to lose the juices and then put it through the food processor , a menace :!:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

cottage cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 23:07 »
I am half-way through my first attempt at making paneer so I will report later.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
cottage cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 23:14 »
Well until Larry agrees we can have cows on the lotty (and flying pigs) our cheesemaking and butter making tends to be when the supermarket has milk or cream at silly low prices because it's about to go out of date.
Interestingly our butter tasted far nicer than store bought. Creamier and lighter and all it was made from was some Tesco cream reduced to 5p a large tub.

lefrog

• Experienced Member
cottage cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 23:43 »
reading the recipe for cottage cheese something made me somewhat twich,
the recipe state thou should not use homogenised milk.
homogenised milk or standardised is 97% of the sold milk in supermarket, I am a bit on the lasy side and wonder what would happen if you decide to use the "not to use milk"?
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

gobs

cottage cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 23:47 »
It might not work at all. :lol:

Not taking the mick there, seriously, it's about bacteria naturally present in them. :wink:

lefrog

• Experienced Member
cottage cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 23:50 »
I guess I ll have to give a visit to the local cow's :tongue2:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
cottage cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:23 »
Quote from: "lefrog"
reading the recipe for cottage cheese something made me somewhat twich,
the recipe state thou should not use homogenised milk.
homogenised milk or standardised is 97% of the sold milk in supermarket, I am a bit on the lasy side and wonder what would happen if you decide to use the "not to use milk"?

Most milk sold in supermarkets is pasteurised, homogonised milk is also called UHT (the stuff in cardboard boxes that keeps for months)

Scribbler

cottage cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:09 »
In the olden days you had milk delivered and it had cream on the top. Supermarket milk, even full fat, doesn't have cream. I thought this was homogenised - ie all the same, top to bottom.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mushroom

cottage cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:29 »

Most milk sold in supermarkets is pasteurised, homogonised milk is also called UHT (the stuff in cardboard boxes that keeps for months)

Homogenised is not a synonym for UHT, they are different processes, and they are applied for different reasons.. although homogenised milk may also be ultra-heat treated. :wink: [pedantic mode=off]

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
cottage cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 10:43 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Homogenised is not a synonym for UHT, they are different processes, and they are applied for different reasons.. although homogenised milk may also be ultra-heat treated. :wink: [pedantic mode=off]

Well, live and learn, thanks..  Will you be staying long?  :D

Anyway, with the recipes section they're Val's baby. I can and do cook but she's far better than me. No formal training but she did run a vegetarian cafe in the mists of pre-history and (whispers) her chutneys are much nicer than some made by a relative who is a trained chef but we don't tell him.

mushroom

cottage cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 10:59 »

Well, live and learn, thanks..  Will you be staying long?  :D

:D

Anyway, with the recipes section they're Val's baby. I can and do cook but she's far better than me. No formal training but she did run a vegetarian cafe in the mists of pre-history and (whispers) her chutneys are much nicer than some made by a relative who is a trained chef but we don't tell him.

I have to try them. Additionally, I'm looking for a chutney that has hardly any sugar, if such a thing exists, not sure if it does though - isn't sugar required to make it gloopy?

WG.

cottage cheese
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 11:04 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
I'm looking for a chutney that has hardly any sugar, if such a thing exists, not sure if it does though - isn't sugar required to make it gloopy?
That would be more of a pickle IMO.  Sugar is part of the preservation process in a chutney.

xx
Cottage cheese

Started by julifoo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post May 13, 2018, 16:10
by julifoo
xx
cottage cheese

Started by lizt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 15:34
by lizt
xx
Cottage cheese

Started by jamima on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 12:29
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Just tried to make the cottage cheese - what am I doing wrong?

Started by Katisha on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 18:13
by Katisha

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 38 queries.