Should I?

• 4 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Should I?
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:48 »
After last years iffy early summer temperatures that fluctuated wildly. I was thinking to start my pumpkin, tromboncino and courgette inside the house, around mid march. Then plant out as soon as things look good. Can anyone tell me if this can be a sound plan?

Nobbie

Re: Should I?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:29 »
Mid March is a bit early for U.K. where mid April is safer, but not sure what the weather is like where you are. If it’s a bit unpredictable, you could sow a couple of batches and if you lose the first one to bad weather when you plant out, you have another batch in reserve.

You may have issues with low light inside the house causing them to grow weak and spindly, so don’t want to keep them inside for too long unless you have some artificial lights.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:37 »
Thanks Nobbie, and yes, i suppose light is a problem in house. Do the squash family transplant well as a 10-12 inch tall plant, or are they better being a half of that?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47 »
Even a light frost will kill them, and 10C is the rule-of-thumb minimum temperature (day and night) they really require to avoid getting checked.

Working backwards from when you should have those temperatures (not an exact science!  ::)) means you should be sowing indoors about 3-4 weeks earlier than that.

Better to wait until you do have the right conditions even if the plants have grown a bit larger than you would like by then (10-12" isn't excessive as long as they have received enough light and aren't weak and leggy.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 04:58 »
JayG, that sets me straight, so thanks for that. I hope i can get results from this family over the coming season.

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 44 queries.