10 days and counting..

• 3 Replies

Porffor

10 days and counting..
« on: July 20, 2008, 14:29 »
since one of our girls has laid!
still only have the 2 girls :) One lays every day rain or shine, but the other one has always been irratic. She started laying then laid every other day, then stoped for 5 days.. started up again and laid for 5 days on the trot.. at which point i got exited.. only for her to stop laying.. thats it.. no more so far!

any tips? their hutch is redmite powered regularly and they 'seem' in good health and she's not behaving differently. I've looked everywhere in her pen for eggs but nothing there. Only difference is she stopped perching at night and sleeps on the nest.

I'm wondering if she could be egg bound, but had a 'feel' without being too friendly and she doesn't seem swollen or anything.

Somewhat confused..

Vember

10 days and counting..
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 14:41 »
How old are they Porffor?
Could she be broody??
Moulting is another thing they stop laying for,
and Mites can put them off laying (the ones round their bums not redmite)

I think if Crumb is anything to go by you'd tell if she were egg bound as she'd be very lethargic, off colour and pushing alot  :)

I think also feeding them too well can put them off laying  :?

Not really much help am I  :lol:

ness

• Experienced Member
10 days and counting..
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 14:50 »
I wonder whether she slightly broody? :?  If there is such a thing?!  I am having the same problem with one of my light sussex bantam.  She lays for a few days then stops - she will sit on the nest if my backs turned.  I have to keep turfing her off as I can't shut the henhouse because my other one is laying.  If I don't let her sit she starts laying again and we go through the whole process again.   :roll:
It doesn't sound like yours is totally broody but I read on a previous post (I think by Bodger) that its natural for them to lay what they consider to be a clutch then think about going broody - depending on the breed.  
Mind you I'm clutching at straws here and could be way off the mark. :oops:

Porffor

10 days and counting..
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 20:42 »
Thanks guys.. maybe I should re-do their Frontline? for the mites.. does frontline treat mites? I thought it did, but my dog has just had to be swopped to a different treatment for mites.. he hasn't got them but the vet wanted to rule them out.. he has a skin problem they are trying to get to the bottom of.

Err.. back to the chooks. She doens't return to the house at all during the day.. She used to go back to lay.

I have got in the habit of feeding 'well' on top of layers, so maybe I should cut that out..

Thanks for the tips! :)

xx
last three days

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:44
by Foxy
xx
It has been 25 days...

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 11:18
by Vember
xx
5 days No egg

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 18:44
by New shoot
xx
Just a few days to go!

Started by Zak the Rabbit on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 21, 2008, 15:34
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 28 queries.