Please recommend a strawberry variety

• 18 Replies

meterman

• Experienced Member
Re: Please recommend a strawberry variety
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 20:12 »
Many years ago I went strawberry picking with the kids and asked a worker if I could have some of the runners he was removing 1/2 hour later left with 3 punnets of strawberries and a massive bag of runners, take new runners each year and replace a bed every 4 years
Have tried many named strawberries over the years but still trying to find a better one

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 21:18 »
Over 4 years ago I bought 4 varieties from Lidl in packs of 6’s. As I recall one was Elsanta, Oskara or something similar & not sure of the other 2, but not sure of the other 2.
Ok just got off my bum & checked my folder as I was intrigued, bought in 2015 for £2.99 for 6  :lol:
Ostara,Elsanta, Korona & Sonata. All a good flavour , 1 variety hasn’t made good plants but I don’t know which is which now, but I’m still using the runners off the originals
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

missmoneypenny

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 22:24 »
Thanks snowdrop, I’m getting the strong feeling the important thing is to crack on and plant strawberry plants, maybe the actual variety is t crucial. I have ordered some Malling centenary.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 14:40 »
Last year was mediocre , year before was rubbish so this year I have done some planning. The soil needs to be 5.5-6.5 mine was 7, so in went 3 barrow loads of own compost and a bag of ericaceous  compost.  Now I have fresh stock: Korona (early) Malling Centenary and Marshmello (mid) and  Pegasus (late) The bare root plants have over wintered and are now ready for planting out. I have kept 8 from 24 plants mostly Cambridge Favourite and planted them in another bed.
Last year we bought different named strawberries from the local supermarkets and selected one type and now have 3 small plants grown from seed.
Difficult to keep up with strawberry varieties. There are new ones coming out every year.

xx
Recommend me a strawberry variety please

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 23:26
by viettaclark
xx
Can you recommend a shallot variety?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2021, 20:45
by missmoneypenny
xx
Recommend strawberry plants

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 14:55
by icbradley
xx
Strawberry Variety

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 10:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 43 queries.