will the brood ever end

• 2 Replies

boybrown

will the brood ever end
« on: May 20, 2011, 21:52 »
Hi Folks,

One of the girls (Poppy) has now been broody for 6 weeks and no sign of changing. I've today separated her into her own run and the first thing she did was make a next from the grass. I've just been down to close up for the night (now dark) and she was still there. have put her into the roost and hopefully she'll settle up there I've also left the ladders down (it's a forsham Ark) so that her bum should cool through the night. Are there chickens who remain broody for life?  I realise now that I needed to break the brood early and will catch any of my other girls more quickly. My other half thinks we should give her a fertilised egg but that too will lead to complications.

Suggestions or re-assurance welcome please

Tom  :ohmy:

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: will the brood ever end
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 22:30 »
Hi Tom, I'm far from an expert only having kept chickens for just over 2 years, but the concensus is usually to put them into a chicken "prison"  which is usually a raised caged pen so the air can circulate and cool the nether regions.  Some suggest dipping their bottom in cool water but some say this doesn't work.  It may be that fertilised eggs may be the route to go but only if you have the time to monitor the happenings.
Hopefully some more experienced keepers will be come along soon and give more experienced advice.  Good luck my friend
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

boybrown

Re: will the brood ever end
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 19:50 »
Cheers for the reply. Well day two of the segregation. My other half said that she was trying to nest at the start of the day but had given up by the time I got there in the afternoon. I let her range with the other girls for a bit to keep in the flock and she looked longingly over at the nesting box but didn't go in and did much more usual things for the time that she was out...fingers crossed!

xx
2nd Brood???????????? Why??????????????

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Too late for a brood ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 13:51
by 8doubles
xx
Feeding my new brood

Started by mollymawk on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 07:42
by Tony H
xx
Where can i brood new chicks???

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 22:02
by bedifferent

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.