Too late for a brood ?

• 3 Replies

8doubles

Too late for a brood ?
« on: September 13, 2010, 19:44 »
Our young speckled hen has gone severely broody and is getting worse. When evicted for food and water she flops on the lawn like a deflated balloon then dashes around in circles like her butt`s on fire , a quick top up with fuel then back on the nest.
Is it a bit late in the year to let her sit properly, just two or three eggs to keep her happy.
I do have a broody coop i can move into a shed if needed or a small outside hen-house to herself.

Any cockerels will be fattened for the pot.

tesni

• Experienced Member
Re: Too late for a brood ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 21:20 »
I'm new to all of this but I know that fertility of eggs decreases as the year goes on so maybe not too much hope of success and then it would be colder when the chicks (if any) hatch and are small & vulnerable...... just my musings, I expect someone with experience will be able to give you actual advice soon!  :D

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 21:51 »
javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

I've dealt with many broodies over the years but have never put eggs under one at this time of year. That said I did have one hen emerge from the undergrowth with 3 day old chicks in late November would you believe. I never did find her nest. Once I'd herded her into a broody coop she proved to be an excellent mother all through the coldest moths. I would say that her job was a harder one at that time of year as she had to keep them warm but you sound as if you have plenty of space to keep the elements off them. Why not go for it. If your little bird finds she doesn't hatch anything you've not lost anything in trying. However if you really want to stop her being broodie pop her in a cage (I use a dog crate) that has been placed on a few bricks so sitting down is uncomfortable. Make sure she is out of the wind an rain and provide food and water. After a few days of this she'll soon give up. I promise!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 13:51 »
Thanks for the replies, looks like i will have to break the broody of the habit (cold turkey ?)as the fertile eggs are not available locally.
Will let her sit a clutch next year if she`s in the mood. :)

xx
2nd Brood???????????? Why??????????????

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
will the brood ever end

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 19:50
by boybrown
xx
Feeding my new brood

Started by mollymawk on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 07:42
by Tony H
xx
Where can i brood new chicks???

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 22:02
by bedifferent

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 38 queries.