Building a brassica cage

• 18 Replies

Elcie

Building a brassica cage
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:57 »
Hi everyone, the time has come for me to think about building the brassica cage.  My seedlings are in the garden at home uncovered and I have already seen a cabbage white on them!

What is the best approach?  I have been reading on here about debris netting and using canes and balls (which I have for tops of canes anyway).  How tall should the cage be?  I have cabbage, kale, brussels and broccoli.

Thanks for any advice / photos of your cages etc

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
Re: Building a brassica cage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:26 »
I have made a cage with Pond Netting, 2m wide off the roll. My beds are 1m wide so I cut pieces 1.5m x 2.0m. The support is made from 3ft canes, one used horizontally while another is cut in half and used for the uprights, pushed into the ground halfway (9") and the horizontal attached with two rubber bands made from 28mm cycle tube (larger tubes might need the slack taken up by winding round the upright).

The Pond Netting is then placed over the supports and the edges pegged down with long wire "staples" made from galvanised wire. The pieces are then tied together with string. This gives a cage 9" high by 3ft wide by however long you want. The mesh is about 1cm square and should stop cabbage whites, pigeons and other birds

In the Winter it can be rolled up and stored. If you need protection from pigeons in the Winter then a larger, more substantial cage could be made.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:59 »
I got "debris netting" off eBay.  I bought the 3M width because my beds are 4' wide, so I figured that 3M would give me a clear height of 35" / 89CM

Canes with balls on top sounds fine.

I am planning to try water pipe (because I have got some lying around). Its pretty stuff so will make hoops, and I will push canes well into the ground and then put the pipe hoops onto those to anchor them.

(I have got Blue MDPE pipe, which is for below-ground, but I believe the Black above-ground pipe would be better as it contains UV inhibitor )

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:02 »
Exactly what Ive done Kirsten, and many on my site. Aunty and Ice do the same too. Ive not had any problems so far, and neither have my neighbours. I use tent pegs to anchor the netting, and also push the water pipe a couple of inches into the ground too
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:06 »
By the by, I could only get Debris Netting with three rows of "eyes" - each edge, and the middle - which is no doubt helpful for scaffolders, but I think if it was possible to get "inferior" :) netting with eyes only along the edges that would prevent there being holes at the ridge.

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 13:56 »
Like Larkshall, I too use pond netting that i got off ebay (it can be found here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&item=270383163265 ). Mine looks like this,

This was made with just one ebay net. I knocked some bits of wood in at the corners and threaded some washing line between them to secure the net to. Washing pegs prove themselves to be very useful in closing the holes that can appear. I find this netting works fine at keeping the cabbage whites off; and its cheaper than the debris netting. Mine needs extending though to accomodate some more sprouts and swede.

Good luck with it!

shaun

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 14:05 »
heres mine in the distance its an old gazebo frame

and a close up of the brassicas inside
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 14:06 »
Very impressive!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 14:48 »
Are you aiming for very tall sprouts then Shaun :unsure:

In general I think the cages need to be at least 3ft high to cover the brassicas to full height ( maybe more for brussels?) :mad:, as the butterflies are around nearly all year, and then the pigeons take over!

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 15:12 »
To keep butterflies out netting needs to be 7mm or smaller. They can get through the standard 10mm nets.

shaun

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 15:57 »
Are you aiming for very tall sprouts then Shaun :unsure:

In general I think the cages need to be at least 3ft high to cover the brassicas to full height ( maybe more for brussels?) :mad:, as the butterflies are around nearly all year, and then the pigeons take over!

its a walk in cage  ;) no faffing about removing the net to go on catterpillar watch,they will lay the eggs on and through the net no matter what size it is.
the main thing to keep off is the wood pidgeons

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 16:51 »
Thanks everyone, some great responses.  I am currently deciding between debris netting and specific butterfly netting.

My biggest worry with debris netting is whether sufficient light still gets through and whether water gets through ok?

Yabba

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 17:29 »
its a walk in cage  ;)

How tall are you? :O

¥

shaun

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 17:39 »

Yabba

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 17:41 »
:tongue2:

¥

xx
building a cage for my brassica's?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 06:16
by DD.
xx
My new brassica cage

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 22:40
by Plot22
xx
What height is your brassica cage?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 08:18
by Beejay
xx
Brassica cage and a question about swede...

Started by TheModfather on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 21:05
by TheModfather

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 40 queries.