Choosing Chooks?

• 8 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Choosing Chooks?
« on: June 25, 2008, 08:37 »
ANOTHER question from the virgin! :lol:

I wondered whether anyone knows of a good site with info on different chooks? Temperament....where to get them etc.

I'm looking for layers not chooks for eatin' and they need to be good with kids. I'm gonna start with 3 and go from there (think I will have room for 6 total)

So...idea so far...1 Buff Orpington, 1 White Pekin and a speckled hen. If things go well then I'll get the rest as ex-bats.

Opinions? advice? Options? All welcomed!!

(you know one day I'll hopefully be able to provide the advice instead of the questions! :lol:)

Thanks

compostqueen

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 08:42 »
I think you came to the right place as folks have chooks of every description here, and it's lovely to read about them all and enjoy photos

I took the plunge after checking out everything on here, and having my questions answered. Armed with all the info I chose my birds for egg laying but I know some want the most docile breeds if they have children.  I think folks like silkies from what I've picked up here  :D   I have brown hybrids and they're docile enough, although one did peck my lip yesterday. Ouch  :D

dawnsmith

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:36 »
Hi Mick
I'm new to chooks this year.

We bought 3 hybrids, one white, one brown and one speckeldy - to keep it interesting!

We've found the White Star to be realy friendly, she's the one that'll come up and say hello. She also lays beautiful, white, huge eggs.

The brown one - a Rhode Star (?aparently?) is not good company, she's very shy, avoids us like the plague, and is not a good layer - lots of soft eggs, even the good eggs are very small.

The speckeldy had a real chip on her shoulder. She 'crows' a lot, goes broody all the time, complains about being in her run, lays tiny eggs and thinks she rules the world. She is the voice of reason though - when the others start arguing she'll get in there and sort them out - after all, she didn't say they could fight did she  :wink:

I think next time I look for chooks, as I'm after eggs, I'd probably avoid the speckeldy, and look for more White Star relatives. I do like the different coloured eggs though, at least you know who's laying when they're all different.
Dawn
x

Foxy

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27 »
Orpington are lovely quiet breeds, will lay a nice egg although not prolifically. Pekins are super, white will get dirty very quickly unless kept in a covered run. Pekins are particulary good with children. What breed is the speckled hen?
Most chickens though if you have them at a young age  and already are used to being handled,are quite easy to tame, just takes a little time and patience!
I have some huge cockerels which are ever so tame although they can look a bit fierce sometimes and I am sure its because they have been handled since day 1. :lol:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:34 »
Thanks for that! Good news about the Pekins, the kids will love em!

As for the speckled hen, not made our mind up yet? Maybe a maran? I'm completely up for suggestions.

Mick

pushrod

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:33 »
Quote from: "mickwood"
Thanks for that! Good news about the Pekins, the kids will love em!

As for the speckled hen, not made our mind up yet? Maybe a maran? I'm completely up for suggestions.

Mick

Have never found marans to be to be as friendly as orpingtons or sussex.
Silkies are very cute and layers of nice small eggs, plus they can be very good broodies for when you want to go a step further and hatch some fertile eggs. Kids would love them. You can get white, black,gold and blue(more of a grey) varieties.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39 »
The silkies are really great for kids as they dont fly - ours come running over when you call them and will let anyone hold them. We did open gardens in our village at the weekend and I was carrying round our silkie cockerel practically all day for the kids to stroke without a single word of complaint.
Mind you - we raised our silkies from chicks which may have something to do with how tame they are - if you bought adult birds, of any breed, they may need some time (and treats) investing to get them super tame

FCG

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 14:07 »
If you buy pullets, say 16-20 weeks old will they become tame readily?

pushrod

Choosing Chooks?
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 17:26 »
Quote from: "freecyclegardener"
If you buy pullets, say 16-20 weeks old will they become tame readily?

hand feed them a lot and some types will become very tame and friendly.

xx
Choosing a POL bird

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 20:19
by beulah59
clip
Choosing a coop

Started by pennynctwarrell on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 17:14
by snowdrops
xx
Choosing A Hen House: Help Please!

Started by woodruffsdad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 12:40
by hillfooter
xx
Choosing chickens and their age

Started by RuthG on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 23:32
by nettynoodles1

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 39 queries.