white rot

• 5 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
white rot
« on: June 08, 2020, 12:34 »
some of my garlic was looking yellow and sickly and I've just pulled some up to discover what appears to be white rot. Is it worth leaving the rest in the ground or should I pull it all up? Some of it looks ok still, foliage-wise. It is in a raised bed with shallots - which still look ok - and leeks that I have recently planted out. Not sure what to do with these - should I leave them and just hope for the best? From what I have read I am doomed if it's white rot as it will survive indefinitely. Do people just avoid growing any aliums for evermore or do you keep trying?
Also, at first white rot didn't occur to me and I've put all the rotten bits I pulled off them into the compost - so now I'm worried that I'm going to make the problem worse and spread it around the garden and all the raised beds  :(
IMG_20200608_113526929.jpg
Rachael

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: white rot
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 13:05 »
Mine are the same this year, in a bed that has had no rot at all before. I'm blaming the really wet winter we had, and keeping my fingers crossed.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:18 »
I have grown my Garlic. ,Onions Leeks in Marshalls grow  bags 32ins x 21ins x12ins deep ,I have used these for 5yrs  covered with fine mesh and had no trouble . Each year I take a big bucket full of compost out and replace with rotted horse manure .
bazial

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:46 »
I have grown my Garlic. ,Onions Leeks in Marshalls grow  bags 32ins x 21ins x12ins deep ,I have used these for 5yrs  covered with fine mesh and had no trouble . Each year I take a big bucket full of compost out and replace with rotted horse manure .
That must be a LOT of bags?

polo71

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 14:06 »
Harvested mine as soon as I found a few with the rot lost 8 I think of my soft neck Solent white, The elephant garlic managed to escape it and it was only a foot away.
a282.jpg

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 17:17 »
Hi Strangerrachal
                         8 bags grows enough for our uses ..  Remember you don't throw any away because they are  disease free ,it's the same with potatoes grown in 30lr tubs all the potatoes are perfect . Simple

xx
White Rot

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2019, 08:23
by Christine
xx
white fly

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 13:07
by mumofstig
xx
white rot

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 00:36
by Kajazy
question
The white bit ?

Started by Hooee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 16:12
by Hooee

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.