Another question from me

• 9 Replies

PlymouthMaid

Another question from me
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:01 »
Looking at recipes foe elderberry/balckberry wine, I notice that some have citric acid tablets whilst others use real lemons, some use teabags whilst others use tablets etc. Is it just a matter of preference for real over chemical or does it alter the taste or anything?

hank scorpio

Re: Another question from me
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 16:04 »
Hi,

I've just made some blackberry wine and it only called for Blackberries, Sugar, Yeast, Yeast nutient and Pectic Enzyme. I dont know why you would need any of the other ingredients you mentioned, i am a novice though so that might explain my ignorance.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:03 »
Hi PlymouthMaid.

I'm planning the self-same brew and have found a recipe that sounds simple to me, plus I have all the ingredients. See thread just below
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=43588.0

I'm picking a few berries each day as they ripen and have almost enough i think. If you find a better or more interesting recipe, I'd love to hear about it.

Rob 8)

Zeb

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:31 »
it all depends on which style of wine you are trying to achive.

Full bodied robust
Easy sipping
Sweet desert
etc

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59 »
For me, I like something with a bit of body, and medium dry ish.

But I like the idea of using the bare minimum added to what I've foraged. Plenty of time in the future for tweeking. I'd like to try the raw and unadulterated first. :D

Rob 8)

SG6

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24 »
Teabags will be for tannin, blackberries and ederberries will have loads of tannin in them. They have so much that you really should allow BB/EB wine to mature for 2 years not 1 so that the tannin content/taste is broken down. 3,4,5 years may be better. :D :D :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:54 »
Therein lies the difficulty  :unsure: :D

I've read that it's a keeper and tastes vile before 12 months. If I can get enough, I might make a gallon of blackberry on its own. Might be able to risk it after 6 months then  :D

Rob 8)

ciderman

Re:elderberry Another question from me
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 13:13 »
my recipe 4 elderberry wine             2lb berrys  1 camdon tab  wine yeast .     put berry in a bucket 2 pints off water boiled add tab leave 24 hour   then mash add 5 more pints boiled water leave 2 cool then press into a bucket then into a demi  add yeast leave 4 2 weeks then filter   bottle  put in a cold dark  place 2 weeks then drink i do all my wine this way some will take abit longer 2 clear  cherry always takes 8 weeks 2 clear it taste fab ok ciderman                                           

Zeb

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 15:00 »
If you use a steam juicer you and do a juice ferment instead of a pulp ferment  there are less tannins and the wine is drinkable earlier

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 20:32 »
Hi, they say that acid is the cornerstone of flavour, without it the wine is flabby. I use lemon juice at 2 tablespoons a gallon.

xx
Hydrometer question

Started by Tricky on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 11:01
by too many girls
xx
Research question

Started by bearhugger1972 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 11:48
by VegGirl7
xx
Temperature Question.

Started by Brummie on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 13:14
by Brummie
xx
Elderflower Question

Started by Redwellies on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 16:24
by Redwellies

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 39 queries.