Viking V440 rotovator

• 3 Replies

Pep

• Experienced Member
Viking V440 rotovator
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:04 »
Hi,

We've been reading quite a lot about rotovators on this site but not seen a mention of a Viking. 

The choice in our nearest town is very limited and we opted for a Viking VH440, mainly because it has a Briggs and Stratton engine, reverse gear and is relatively light.  It has a 3.5 h/p engine.

Does anyone elso own one of these machines?  What are the ups and downs of this particular make/model and is there anything in particular that we should keep an eye on?

We've never owned one before but with the amount of untouched land we have to go at, it's now a necessity.

Looking at a neighbour rotovating his land we know to strim down the weeds etc. first and obviously clear away any wire, brick ends etc.  From one of the comments on here about full throttle and putting it on Youtube :lol: :lol:, we also know that we start off very slowly.

Really hope someone can offer a few tips, advice etc.  Just hope it's not the worst buy on the market :ohmy: :ohmy:

Pauline 

Gwiz

Re: Viking V440 rotovator
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 17:11 »
Hello Pauline,
I notice that "over here" Viking is imported by Andreas Stihl ( a very well know and respected power tool company), I expect that it's going to be the same "over there".
That should mean that you'll be able to get parts reasonably easy.
I'd have to say that Viking isn't a make that I'm used to at all, but a quick look on the tinterweb shows them to be good looking machine.
before using it, I think I'd spray off any weeds with round up, and wait a bit.
Don't try to go too deep too soon if the ground is hard or hasn't been turned over for a while. A little bit at a time will be easier on you and the machine!
Do let us know how you get on, it's great to hear of people who have taken the plunge and bought a new rotovator!

All the best,

Pep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 17:31 »
Hi Graham,

I was hoping that you'd see my posting as you seem to be the rotovator expert!!!

Thank you very much for your advice, it really is appreciated.  We will "roundup" the garden before use as it hasn't been touched for about 20 years or so.  Hubby will just have to wait a little longer before he can play with his new toy :D :D :D

One of the reasons we bought it locally was because the man also repairs and services etc. and, although he'd still service it if we'd bought it elsewhere, it's nice to put some trade his way to ensure he stays open. 

He advised us to run it for 5 hours, change the oil and then every 50 hours use after that.

Thank you again.

Pauline

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 18:14 »
Hello again, Pauline.
thank you for your kind words, I'm no expert, I've just worked on lots of different machines, it's my job!
Some of our members have resurected some fine vintage machines, but for me, I like the feeling of being able to order the parts for a "newer model" :D

xx
Viking shredder

Started by waddecar on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 23:02
by Gwiz
xx
Viking VH440 manual req.

Started by fatcat1955 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2018, 09:14
by fatcat1955
xx
help with an old Rotovator

Started by newatthis on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 18:02
by Yorkie
xx
Rotovator

Started by alexroyall85 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 19:23
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.