Strawberries in a greenhouse?

• 2 Replies

fluffstermum

Strawberries in a greenhouse?
« on: April 28, 2012, 20:58 »
We've recently acquired a second-hand greenhouse for our plot. The only place we could really squeeze it in happens to be where our strawberry plants are currently thriving. So our dilemma is whether to leave the strawberry plants where they are, in the ground which is now inside the greenhouse, or relocate the plants to another part of the plot and risk upsetting them.
Which would upset them the least? moving them (a lot of them are flowering already) or potentially quite a lot of heat once the summer kicks in (if we leave them where they are)?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Strawberries in a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:22 »
I'd leave them and get an early crop of strawberries, then pot up runners and move them outside as soon as they have rooted.  The mother plants would prefer to move in the autumn, but if you have the runners as a plan B, if the parent plants suffer due to summer heat, it won't be the end of the world  :)

Strawberries need a period of cold over the winter to make the flower beds develop the following year, but if you have spare runners, potting a few up and taking them back into the greenhouse early next spring will give you another early crop  :)

fluffstermum

Re: Strawberries in a greenhouse?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 16:02 »
Thank you  :)
We have some more strawberry plants outside already, but the ones we're talking about are the most established.
I think I'll leave these in the greenhouse this summer, move them out this autumn once the fruiting season is over, and see how we get on.
I was just worried it would get too hot inside for them, but I guess there's only one way to find out!

clip
Strawberries in growbag in greenhouse

Started by Flagstaffview on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 16:04
by snowdrops
xx
Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 16:37
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 15:38
by sunshineband
xx
strawberries

Started by rowlandwells on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 22:21
by Offwego

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.