Wire Mesh

• 29 Replies

AndyRVTR

Wire Mesh
« on: October 31, 2008, 09:10 »
Hi all, I'm on the lookout for some mesh so i can build a pen for my soon to arrive chucks to runaround it.
One question I have though is, would galvanised mesh with a 2" diamond, in be ok to use, or will I need to go for smaller ie. 1"?

Vember

Wire Mesh
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 09:32 »
I use the 1 inch size, basically to keep as much out as possible :)
I also have an apron of it on to the grass to put stuff off digging in, the grass has grown over it so you can't tell, but if Rizo the Rat tried to get in he'd have trouble  :lol:
Not really sure about the 2 inch - have to see these things to be able to gauge if ok or not.
I'm sure Rob or someone will be along soon to say if 2 " is ok :D

Sarah :)

poppies

Wire Mesh
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 10:14 »
Hi I would'nt use 2" mesh we put it around our veg plot and small rabbits could get through so rats etc would easily get in, 1" is much better.

Knight Family

Wire Mesh
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:42 »
I would use 1" not 2", also you need to make sure the gauge is high enough as fox's can chew through it.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

BilboWaggins

Stoats?
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:05 »
Husband has seen a stoat in our garden a couple of times.

Are they a potential danger to the chooks and if so, what size mesh would I need to keep them out?  Would 1" be small enough.

Thank you

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 13:11 »
Hi.
I read ages ago on a rat-keeper's site that he uses 1"x1/2" 19g mesh to keep his rats in, so I used that to keep them out.

Would guess it should keep other medium/large rodents out too. I know we have a few mice around because the cat catches a few but not yet a problem.

Rob

woodburner

Wire Mesh
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 13:19 »
If you get 3/4" or smaller and cover the run, you will keep out wild birds.
3/4" is hard to find but it's what thatchers use.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Wire Mesh
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 15:53 »
Weld mesh, square/rectangular stuff welded at each corner, is stronger than chicken wire, hexagonal stuff twisted together.

Both types of wire comes in different gauges (thicknesses). The lower the gauge the thicker the wire. 19 gauge (approx. 1 mm) is the standard for bird aviaries/small animal housing but you can use 16g (approx 1.6mm) or higher for more protection.

You'd need to bury the edges or mesh the floor to keep out animals that dig underneath. Foxes will go over the top if there is no roof if that's a concern.

Tam

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 16:18 »
Succinctly put Tam.

There's been a fox attack recently where it went over the top despite having heavy gauge wire panels.

Not many actual fox-proof enclosures unless you spend a lot of time and money on it. I think most of us have to do the best we can and take a risk on a compromise. :?

rob 8)

T C

• Experienced Member
Wire Mesh
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 18:00 »
My brother in law who lives in essex, on a built up housing estate, had a creature get into his hen house, he heard a comotion going on, quickly shut the flap down to keep everything inside opened the door and shot the thing, i think it was a stoat, it had killed all but two of his 8 hens, this stoat got in through the wire mesh, the next day he put another layer of much finer mesh, that was two years ago and its been ok, nothing elese has got in. TC
T C TOP CAT

woodburner

Wire Mesh
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 18:55 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
There's been a fox attack recently where it went over the top despite having heavy gauge wire panels.
rob 8)

A sturdy fence is actually easier for a fox to scale than a floppy one.  :o

AndyRVTR

Wire Mesh
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 17:15 »
Well.. i
I think I managed to get myself a bargain off Ebay today.. a new 50 meter roll of 19mm 19g galvanised wire mesh 1.2m high... £28 inc postage... not too bad I dont think  :D

poultrygeist

Wire Mesh
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 17:20 »
Sounds a good deal.

Well done :)

Rob

BilboWaggins

Wire Mesh
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 22:54 »
Thank you for all the advice.

SalJ1980

Wire Mesh
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 09:36 »
Quote from: "AndyRVTR"
Well.. i
I think I managed to get myself a bargain off Ebay today.. a new 50 meter roll of 19mm 19g galvanised wire mesh 1.2m high... £28 inc postage... not too bad I dont think  :D

Andy, could you please post pics of your hen house/run when it's built? I'm hoping to get chooks in the spring and will be building my own house and run, so am interested in how other people have designed them. Anyone else's pics obviously appreciated too!
Sal

Organic...so far!

xx
Wire mesh for a run

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:34
by garddwr
xx
wire mesh

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 14:06
by woodburner
xx
Wire Mesh Type

Started by OakR on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 27, 2019, 21:28
by erikaz1
xx
Size of wire mesh

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:48
by Lastcast

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.