Cleaning out quail

• 1 Replies

Jamesquail

Cleaning out quail
« on: June 23, 2023, 21:11 »
Hello everyone,

I recently bought some quail and am enjoying keeping them. Before I got them, I heard they can be messy and that certainly seems to be true!

I keep them in a shed in a hutch with a run. At the moment they rarely go in the hutch, the run has some trays of grass, sand bath, few other items to entertain them. I have put cardboard on the bottom of the run.

I clean them out each week, this involves me trying to catch them in the run (which is a challenge) and put them in the hutch. They don’t seem to really enjoy this and neither do i!! I then take out the cardboard and replace it.

I wonder if anyone has any tips of how to make cleaning them out easier and hopefully less stressful for them. Whether there is something else  I can put on the bottom of the run or if I should take them out each time and put them in a box.

Thanks for your help. Any tips would be much appreciated.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning out quail
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 21:19 »
Hi and welcome.

How about training them to like the hutch by feeding treats in there.  With chickens, a lot of people use corn in a tub which can be rattled to get their attention.  I’ve never kept quail, but if they get to like a treat, I am sure they would respond.

After getting them into the hutch a few times just to eat, you could then shut the door after they ran in and clean them out without the drama.

xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie
xx
Quail help

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 21:46
by daisy1990
xx
Quail. A few Q's.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 12:19
by splash101
xx
Quail ~ Why ??

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 12:43
by Bigblacktaximan

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 42 queries.