Cutting garden advice sought

• 8 Replies

Living in Hope

Cutting garden advice sought
« on: October 22, 2011, 17:11 »
I'm planning on using a couple of beds to grow flowers for cutting for the house and am hoping to while away the dark winter nights planning it out. Are there are books you can recommend (I've seen mixed reviews of Sarah Raven's book), or any web sites?

So far I've planted loads of Tulips, and next winter I plan to establish some daffs under the fruit trees which will go in this winter. I'm aiming to grow sweet peas up the side of the (yet to be aquired) shed. So I'm looking for ideas of things that last well when cut that will flower between the tulips and sweet peas and after the sweet peas.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Cutting garden advice sought
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 18:19 »
I've got the Sarah Raven book.  Lovely pictures and some good suggestions - but I couldn't source some of the 'filler' euphorbia plants except through her seed scheme (expensive).

Bells of Ireland, cosmos, love in a mist, dahlia are some ideas but can't remember their flowering time.

Asters are late flowering.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sion01

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 19:58 »
Sunflowers are one cut flower I had overlooked until this year.They really last well with some lasting a month in a vase.

sarajane

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 18:33 »
Rudbekias are a lovely late garden flower  and last in water.

Oddpod

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 20:42 »
i grew lupins and larkspur from seed and they are still just about going, gladioli last well and don't need much attention.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45 »
Chrysanths last for weeks in a vase and are in flower when most other plants are past there best.

Living in Hope

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 18:40 »
Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking of having a 'changing bed' and a permenant bed.

The changing bed will be tulips over the winter and annuals, incl. sweet peas, cosmos, nigella etc. in the summer, which together with some daffs under the apples and a rose bush should cover spring & summer.

The permenant bed is likely to have things like rudbekia, michaelmas daisies and other late summer and autumn flowers.

Anyway thats the plan this week!

Spana

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 19:07 »
I've also got Sarah Raven book and really like it.  You don't have to follow it to the letter but it gives you ideas about colour combinations and  advice about things like prolonging vase life for different flowers and what to mix with what, that sort of thing.  Also encouraged me to be more  adventurous and go BIGGER with my arrangements. Won the prize 4years running in our show for best arrangement of garden flowers, all down to Sarah Ravens book. :happy:

What ever i grow as cut flowers the one thing i always grow is annual gypsophila to use as a filler.  It turns a few flowers into a big billowing display.  :)

Living in Hope

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 19:42 »
Thanks - I'll have a look at the categories at the local garden show for some ideas of things to grow- I hadn't thought of that!

xx
Cutting down tree, advice please.

Started by Sideways on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 10:46
by Sideways
xx
Lawn Cutting Advice

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2023, 08:08
by jezza
xx
Hardwood Cutting Advice Please

Started by Teen76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 20:54
by Teen76
xx
idea's sought...

Started by Porffor on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 13:18
by Ruby Red

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 38 queries.