Some Worming help please

• 2 Replies

Colernehens

Some Worming help please
« on: April 05, 2011, 10:47 »
Can anyone tell me if Ivermectin is effective against all worm types including Gape Worm.

The only reason I ask is that although i know it isn't licensed for poultry, one of our girls, who has so far never laid, had lice so badly when we got her last year, that the only way we managed to eradicate them after weeks of trying was Ivermectin. It work with great results, we continued to dust her every month from then on and until last week, we thought all was ok, then on a routine inspection last week we noticed she had them again, so with no messing we turned straight to Ivermectin.

Now this morning, she has been behaving like she might have Gape worm? Is this likely as I thought Ivermectin also dealt with internal parasites? Is it more likely that she just had something stuck?  ???

She shot out of the hen house about 30 minutes ago with great enthusiasm and has been eating and drinking since and looks fine, I haven't seen her Gape and shake her again, but then I am not watching her all the time?

Any advice or thoughts would be very welcome, thanks.  :unsure:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Some Worming help please
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 13:30 »
First google search came up with this...
http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-medication/poultry-medication/ivermectin-for-worms-lice-mites.html
which mentions this..
In the absence of licensed alternatives, veterinarians do sometimes prescribe this product for poultry under their own clinical judgement to treat mites, lice and worms in poultry. However, it is only a veterinarian who can advise on such use and it would breach of the veterinary medicines regulations and NOAH code of practice by supporting, or encouraging the use of this product on a non-target species. It is for this reason that we are not recommending you use Ivermectin for this purpose unless it is prescribed by your Vet.
You could always get some flubenvet and keep the other for mite issues in the future.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Colernehens

Re: Some Worming help please
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 15:57 »
Thanks I hadn't seen that website before, very useful.

I was aware to use Flubenvet for worms, but I knew I has read somewhere (on here i think) that sometimes Ivermectin was used to treat worms (I'm guess this had been prescribed by a vet), so having treated her for lice last week with it, I am assuming it will have killed any worms she did have and I don't want to over do by worming with Flubenvet, if it was more likely she just had something in her throat?

I might get some flubenvet just to be safe

xx
Worming, how often is too often?

Started by gibbo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 15:12
by hillfooter
xx
Worming

Started by RTB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 13:51
by muntjac
xx
worming

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 19:10
by joyfull
xx
worming

Started by lilchic34 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 15:45
by sneezer

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 34 queries.