Duck, maybe Goose question..

• 12 Replies

Foxy

Duck, maybe Goose question..
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:27 »
Have got an area with a 45degree slope in -which when finished, will be very diffcult to mow. Was wondering if geese would be happy there?Or is it too steep? there is a long 9x100foot wide flat grassy path (when we grass it!!) there too!  :) This is one probably for Vember methinks???

Vember

Re: Duck, maybe Goose question..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:41 »
Might be a bit steep for them, is it flat straight up or rocky and steep in places?

What you might find is they go half way up sit and eat they may leave the top bit untouched ???
Coming down for them is more of an issue than going up :)

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 13:26 »
It is quite flat -although the path is dead flat now and about 100tf long by 9 -10 foot in places. I might put a combination of chickens and guinea fowl possibly. The bank is bing partly turfed on Monday(to prevent erosion) so will be able to post a piccy. I have also thought of pygmy goats???? I haven't any experience of them at all! ::)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 13:34 »
The path will be ideal for geese :D I'm just thinking more on the side that the Toulouse are a bigger heavier breed and lower to the ground than mine so might struggle more with the slope ?

My Guineas and Geese spent the days together no probs so maybe guines for the higher bits and geese for the path? :D

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 13:37 »
 :D :D I have been offered a few guinea fowl too! They are about 3 weeks old I think, I was going to pop them in with my fav bantys and see if OH notices!!! :D

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 13:52 »
:lol: Think he might when they find their voice in a few weeks time :lol:

Lovely birds though and the eggs are really nice, when I can find them ::)

Would imagine the person your getting them from will give you all the info, but I think these are the 2 main things I've found can be a problem but once you've got them sorted they are really great :D

Little tip on the eggs,  if possible leave the first 3 in the nest, if you take them she'll go else where to lay, that'll happen everytime you take the egg , until she runs out of places to lay :lol:  I try to mark the first 3/4 and leave them in the nest, if I'm lucky the magpies don't find them, this year I've only been lucky once  :mad: Found the nest got 12 eggs out left 4, went back the next day & they'd all gone and she went further into the wood to lay :(

They are roamers and if not taught straight away where bed is bed time can be a nightmare  :mad: I had to keep my adults fenced for 3 weeks for them to get the hang of it  :mad:
Last years babies went to a neighbour they left them in a run for a week and then let them out, they started heading back up the mountain to here ::)

Foxy' s getting Keets (and geese? )  yay :D

matilda duck

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 15:56 »
Foxy I'm gonna tell your OH :tongue2:

Unless ...........mmmmmmm what can I think of????  thinking.......... :wub:

Will let you know :lol: :lol:

GEESE???   How cool is that??

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 16:55 »
OH is not gonna be happy whatever I do at the mo..!!! the lovely digger man has just redesigned our little pond at the back....just doubled the size and depth.. :ohmy: :ohmy: I am sooooo in trouble!!! :lol: :lol:

matilda duck

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 20:10 »
Trouble???? never!!!!

Tell him you need a wonderful big pond for all your ducklings :tongue2:

Why is he not going to be happy??????

Poolfield2

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 23:16 »
I reckon that to graze such a steep slope what you need is a few Haggis, now they have 2 short legs and 2 long legs and it makes them ideal for steep slopes.

(Well that is what my Dad told me when I was a kid and I haven't seen any in the wild yet so I'm not sure) :lol: :lol: :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 09:31 »
that's because they are very very rare  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 14:18 »
I reckon that to graze such a steep slope what you need is a few Haggis, now they have 2 short legs and 2 long legs and it makes them ideal for steep slopes.

(Well that is what my Dad told me when I was a kid and I haven't seen any in the wild yet so I'm not sure) :lol: :lol: :lol:

They sound ideal! would I have to get them defra registered???? :blink: :blink:

Poolfield2

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 22:38 »

They sound ideal! would I have to get them defra registered???? :blink: :blink:

Peter says yes at the Edinburgh office :lol:

xx
Goose question

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 23:19
by wildwitchy
xx
Duck Question

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 17:36
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Duck question?

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 19:09
by Bobbie
xx
Help please with a Duck question (again)!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 15:48
by flangey

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 39 queries.