What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

Offwego

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2018, 11:30 »
Transplanted my leeks 30 sultan and 30 Carlton.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2018, 17:17 »
Planted out loads of stuff - squash, outdoor cukes, outdoor tomatoes, beans, a couple of dahlias and some morning glory.  Various net tunnels put over things to help them over the first week or so out on their own.

Weeded lots of areas as well.  It turned into a marathon 5 hour session, but all of a sudden it is filling up and looking like we are in business again  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2018, 20:31 »
Earthed up the main crop spuds - that's them all done now  :)  Hoiked out the perpetual spinach from my tall greens cage as it was finished and dug the ground over.  Did lots more weeding.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2018, 21:31 »
Finished off the planting of bed 5
Lettuce, beetroot,leeks and sweet corn
20180527_155651_1527442560555.jpg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 21:32 by Offwego »

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2018, 20:00 »
Cut the top end hedge, weeding, tended a few things and watered. Bloomin warm in Lancashire!

snowdrops

« Reply #245 on: May 29, 2018, 22:08 »
Had a small fire & kept throwing on all the mares tail I kept weeding out, a bit of weeding, planted the dwarf beans out,then all the brassicas (well not all, I’ve ened up with spares but I left the others in case of failures) netted the brassicas with the help of hubby & daughter who came for a chat & to help with the netting. Hubby removed the forest of self set sunflowers, I was tempted to look up how to extract oil from them as I’d got so many. Hoed around all the strawberries, hoed the last empty(ish) bed, sieved the remains of the last fire, had a couple of cuppa’s, a lunch of soup. A chat with a few plot holders & there was 6 & half hours gone!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2018, 22:59 »
Two visits to water the first at 0550 this morning and then tonight at 6 pm
It's very warm and the plants need the water when I left the plot at 620 this morning it was already 16 deg

😅😅👍

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: May 30, 2018, 22:34 »
Epic weeding session, 3 hours in total. Still digging up docks, my least favourite weed to tackle. Side shooted the toms. Spotted a lot of damage on several crops from what appears to be flea beetle.

Took the attached pics showing the difference between the pumpkin in the PT vs the one outside. Seeds sown at the same time, in the same conditions!
S5000469.JPG
S5000470.JPG

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2018, 18:51 »
Brief visit to plot to cut the grass paths. Just as well I have a petrol mower as I was cutting the grass in the rain! Checked my spuds in bags and horrified to find numerous slugs in action. Thought this was only an issue with spuds in ground-afraid I was somewhat brutal with them. Managed to get all this done before the rain turned really heavy. Fortunately I had a good weeding session yesterday. Everything seems to be growing well now though I was a little jumpy after an email arrived saying blight could be around already locally.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2018, 21:23 »
After a few weeks of speaking to the society sec re the overgrown plot next door we have been offered it today, so that now makes the choice of where to site the new polytunnel easy😀

Went down tonight and strimmed the overgrowth .

snowdrops

« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2018, 22:42 »
A speed gardening session tonight in readiness for going away on Saturday. Planted out 2 trays of lettuce, 3 spare cucumbers got planted around the wire leaf Mold cage, so they can grow up & round it, what’s the netting all the cucumbers grown through into the middle so I can’t reach them lol. Sowed 4 rows of carrots, threw in another row of French beans. Netted the strawberries & the carrots, finally put up the strings for the climbing beans I planted out the other day. Came home as it got dark.

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2018, 17:06 »
Woke up this morning to find it raining, so no need to water today  :D

Over the last week i have got a lot done, new debris mesh over the brassica bed, sweetcorn, celery, squash, courgettes more french beans, and couple more cauliflower, broccoli and kale plants planted out, weeded everything and trimmed the paths again with the new battery powered strimmer (which i must say is excellent!). Plus lots of watering, have filled the three butts up twice this week as the plot was bone dry.

It's the first time i have actually managed to get four 25 x 10 ft veg beds going since i took over the plot 3 and a half years ago - there has been a lot of work to get to this stage, half the plot had a layer of carpet about 3 inches under the top soil that took ages to get up, other bits had hundreds of bricks just under the soil, a big hole at the front to be filled up (apparently used to be an old air raid shelter there, just the foundations and a few bricks were left), that combined with an accident and a long period of working away from home meant it has taken a while to get to this stage. I feel really pleased how this year is going on the allotment so far! Just a couple of trees and the the back corner to sort out now to put a fruit cage up.

snowdrops

« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2018, 20:44 »
Woke up this morning to find it raining, so no need to water today  :D

Over the last week i have got a lot done, new debris mesh over the brassica bed, sweetcorn, celery, squash, courgettes more french beans, and couple more cauliflower, broccoli and kale plants planted out, weeded everything and trimmed the paths again with the new battery powered strimmer (which i must say is excellent!). Plus lots of watering, have filled the three butts up twice this week as the plot was bone dry.

It's the first time i have actually managed to get four 25 x 10 ft veg beds going since i took over the plot 3 and a half years ago - there has been a lot of work to get to this stage, half the plot had a layer of carpet about 3 inches under the top soil that took ages to get up, other bits had hundreds of bricks just under the soil, a big hole at the front to be filled up (apparently used to be an old air raid shelter there, just the foundations and a few bricks were left), that combined with an accident and a long period of working away from home meant it has taken a while to get to this stage. I feel really pleased how this year is going on the allotment so far! Just a couple of trees and the the back corner to sort out now to put a fruit cage up.

So far so good for me, the best in 12 years since I got my original plot on this site, mind I have swapped to 2, 1/2 plots side by side, aided this year by going no dig, wish I’d done this years ago.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2018, 19:55 »
Not much at the plot as it was too hot, but I did get a few more things planted out.

Came home and ended up doing a marathon pruning and tidying session,  Loads of shrub prunings to take to the tip now.

chillimummy

« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2018, 00:06 »
First visit after a week away and lots of weeds  ;)
Mostly superficial and started weeding between onions but managed half as back aching  ;)
Weeded around peas.
Took another load of rabbit manure and most of my pumpkin and squash bed is covered now ready.
Plenty of pumpkins germinated at home but resown butternut squash as only one germinated.
3 spaghetti squash germinated out of 6.
Hoping to get them planted soon.
Covered a big patch of buttercup with weed fabric until I get chance to dig it out.
Weeded around strawberries but have to be careful as very close to bees under my black plastic  :ohmy:
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 55 queries.