Gherkins

• 8 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Gherkins
« on: May 03, 2009, 20:55 »
I love Gherkins! I went to a certain supermarket and saw gherkin seeds and wanted something new to grow this year.
Do they grow the same way as cucumbers. I.e. do they have to be in a greenhouse and do they climb up support?
Has anyone grown them?
Any info appreciated.

Steve

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Re: Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 21:03 »
Hi Steve,
Gherkins are a type of cucumber. They can be grown in the g/h or outside and climb up support. I have not grown before but am this year in the g/h as the o/h loves them.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 21:11 »
I was advised thus on here:-
DD. :I wouldn't waste greenhouse space. These plants get very big and need a lot of room to trail/climb if you want a decent quantity.

Mine survived a late frost, whereas the outdoor cues next to them bought it, along with the courgettes

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 23:56 »
I'm growing some. Never done so before but I like to try sommat different. I'm growing Wisconsin

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:48 »
I was advised thus on here:-
DD. :I wouldn't waste greenhouse space. These plants get very big and need a lot of room to trail/climb if you want a decent quantity.

Mine survived a late frost, whereas the outdoor cues next to them bought it, along with the courgettes

I was just going to say that!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

polly tunnel

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 14:39 »
I love gherkins too so thought I would grow some and planted the seed but so far absolutely nothing (4 weeks) courgette seeds are up but no sign of gherkin..shall I forget it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 14:58 »
Where are your seeds polly? i did mine in placcy bags on sunny window ledge and they were up in 3 days same as cukes, courgettes and squash.
4 weeks is a long while, have a poke about in the pot to see if they've rotted off. :blink:
You may be best to start again now it's a bit warmer, there's still plenty of time!

polly tunnel

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 16:04 »
Thanks mumofstig i suspect you are right and it's time to try again, they have been in a greenhouse where they should have been embarassed into performing by all the other stuff coming up! but alas it's back to the drawing board...is it worth it? does anyone actually grow and pickle these blighters?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 16:23 »
I Think the trouble was that it wasn't warm enough in the g/h 4 weeks ago. My toms are in the g/h but cukes/gherkins still on windowledges...they are very tender plants...but once the weather warms up as the BBC have promised us .....wayhay they grow really fast.
I always grow cukes but this will be the first year for gherkins for me ...and yes just so i can pickle them :lol: :lol: Just love them :blink:

question
gherkins

Started by rich27 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 05:21
by DD.
xx
Gherkins

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 23:14
by sloworm
xx
Gherkins...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 21:20
by slow_worm
xx
Gherkins

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 14:01
by MyAchingBack

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.