Why has my hen died?

• 9 Replies

tomgood99

Why has my hen died?
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:28 »
Hi there, I went to collect the eggs from my two hens yesterday (a speckled and a white leghorn) and discovered the white leghorn (Frankie) had died.  She was just lying in the part of the Ark where they lay their eggs, but hadn't laid one.  She seemed full of beans, running around the garden following me when I was digging up the veggie patch the other day and had been laying normally.  Our remaining chicken seems fine although after also losing our first chicken to a fox a couple of months ago we will have to get a couple of new companions for her now.  Frankie was only just two years old and appeared to be in good health so I am at a loss (and rather sad) as to why she died.  Please could anyone shed any light on this for me?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:35 by tomgood99 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Why has my hen died?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35 »
Hello tomgood99, so sorry that your first post is such a sad one. The problem is with chickens they hide their illnesses very well and often we don't get to find out until it is too late (and sometimes not at all like in your case). The only way to be sure is to have an autopsy done. They can have heart attacks just like all animals so maybe this could have been the reason.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Not the best way to join and I am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps it was just natural, you could get the vet to investigate for you but that would cost so you have to decide yourself on that.

Perhaps someone else may shed some light.
All the best
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

tamnwill

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36 »
I expect it was spooked by a fox or Mother Nature played a hand. But just to be sure, take a close look at you last chook, I experienced the same as you with one sudden unknown death ..................then they all came down with an upper respiritory infection! Mine never looked ill, still did chickeny things but on closer inspection one had watery eyes, then 2 then 3, very quickly. So just take a close look at your last chook just to make sure before getting another couple?

tomgood99

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 13:01 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Our remaining chook seemed fine so yesterday I went and picked up two newies; a Goldline and Silver Link.  I kept them in the run with the Ark all afternoon and kept our Speckled in the garden where she could see the newcomers in the run.  There was a load of disgruntled "who the hell are you?!" noises from Henrietta and a bit of bullying when I put her back in with the newies but they all settled down for the night (sort of) together.  Today there's been a bit of pecking and squawking but I imagine that that's normal?  I hoping/assuming that it will all calm down in a few days after they get used to eachother, but any thoughts, comments, advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 13:06 »
it's perfectly normal, just make sure you have more than 1 feeder and drinker plus hiding spaces and they should be ok. Keep some purple spray handy just incase blood is drawn.

tomgood99

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 14:39 »
Purple spray?  Sorry probably being very ignorant but what is that?

birds in a basket

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 15:21 »
Hi there and sorry to hear about your girl.  The purple spray is an instant bactericidal wound management spray that is used on flesh wounds, claw and spur damage, beak injuries etc. i.e. all minor injuries.  Clean any wound first and spray from about 6".  Don't use it on large open wounds that may require stitches or bandaging. Hopefully you won't need it - but it is useful to have handy.  :) :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 15:29 by birds in a basket »
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 16:33 »
chickens when they see blood (or even bright red nail varnish on toes) will try to peck at it, this can lead to a chicken being pecked to death. The purple spray as well as being antiseptic will also disguise the redness. You can get it from pet suppliers that sell horsey products (and it is called purple spray  :lol:).

tomgood99

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 17:19 »
Thanks for that, fingers crossed I won't need it and harmony will be soon restored in Chickenland!

xx
My little hen died!!! Why?????

Started by redmolly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 13:46
by redmolly
xx
Another hen has died

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 08:36
by poultrygeist
xx
Dip has died

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 12:11
by Jeanette
xx
Hen died - cause?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:09
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 39 queries.