What would you do?

• 5 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
What would you do?
« on: February 14, 2011, 18:42 »
My greenhouse collapsed in the snow. I am about to order a 30ft long polytunnel.

I can fit a 12ft wide one in with a comfry patch right next to it. Or i could dig out just two comfrey plants and get a 14ft wide one in.

They are bocking 14 but i'm worried about the roots, and whether i'll end up with comfrey in the tunnel.

As i write, i'm thinking - what harm really, and i'd get the extra width of the tunnel for the other 27ft! 

I already have a large raspberry patch to move although i'm tempted to leave that inside the tunnel for this season.

Anyone got any words of wisdom for me. :)

Liv.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 19:03 »
The Comfrey will have to make way for the extra foot's width - in my humble, and completely unbiased!, opinion.

I don't think you will have trouble with the Comfrey, but if you do I don;t think it will be too hard to eradicate. Comfrey making a nuisance of itself is usually becomes of seeding everywhere (nto a problem with Bocking 14 of course ...)

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 21:28 »
You can never have too big a greenhouse/polytunnel. Still wish mine was bigger - I would fill it  ::)
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 21:32 »
Get the biggest you can fit in (and afford!), you'll never run out of things to grow! Jude.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 21:45 »
I would say beware of the raspberries. we bought some, short of somewhere to put them we potted them and 'plunged' them on the poly. the roots escaped and they are everywhere, because it's dryer in there presumably they are searching for more moisture. lovely clean rasps though, completely protected form the birds  :D
I would think your comfrey can always be dug out in the future, if it keeps coming up unwanted then put some weed fabric down and keep pots of things on it?
Our poly should be 30ft, but we shortened the distance between the hoops for extra strength, so it's 25ft, well concreted in, esp at the corners!
If you are puttng it up yourself make sure the plastic is TIGHT. our first cover, rated 4 years lasted over 10, we had someone in to do the cover. The one we put on flaps about a little and I can tell it isn't going to last as long, bits of tears already :(

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 22:12 »
Thanks guys.
Particularly like the concrete at the corners tip.
Bigger it is!!

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.