Honda F400:The resurrection!

• 61 Replies

Browser

• Experienced Member
Honda F400:The resurrection!
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:56 »
Hi, I've just obtained a used but serviceable (that's what he says anyway, haven't seen it yet) Honda F400 rotovator from Ebay. Unless he says otherwise it's missing it's transport wheels as they weren't in the photographs, does anyone have any? I was going to download the manual from here http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/1512/ but the page says they have technical problems. :(
Does anyone have any accessories for this machine they might be willing to sell eg plough, rear-mount tiller (which I think was available) etc?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 20:38 by Browser »
Blimey! You mean you can *grow* things in soil?

Bigbadfrankie

Re: Honda F400 manual and accessories wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59 »
the manual is in the info section of this site.
Great little machine. For mine I have a tool bar, drum rotors and a banker
if you go back throgh the topics there are pictures
always have a target
and an objective.

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50 »
There's some sort of conspiracy against me getting a copy of this manual, for some reason the works PC isn't letting me view the copy held in the manuals forum :mad: I'll have a look later as home.
I can't seem to find any of the pics you mentioned Frankie, are they attached to posts you've done? I searched both for your name and F400 :(
Can you give me a brief rundown of the F400 if you've got the time? Is it points or CD ignition? Are there many attachments available? THe drum rotors you've mentioned on your posts, were they a home-brew or Honda OE?

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 17:10 »
One more question, are the drive axles for the tines/wheels on Hondas round or hexagonal?

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 17:21 »
Have you tried L.M.S Wellingore,they have had honda franchise for a long time they might be worth a call.
                                celery :)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 18:40 »
Hello,

Hexagonal tines on our 1981/82?? F400.... Rather poorly round hexagon now after much work over many years.. :ohmy:

Ours is conventional points ignition....Steel flywheel needing a bolt type puller (never use a leg type puller)..

Lovely machine with 2 speed gearbox and also a proper reverse gear. :)

They were sold as basically a 2 wheel tractor and came with a small set of tractor type cleated wheels/ pneumatic tyres.  ... but not a set of Merry Tiller etc type transport wheels...

The next model down the F300 did have the rear transport wheel frame.

Back then, when I was the YTS lad assembling them from their packing case, the discount at new was that you got the slasher tines in with the price...

I think the tines may have been made in UK for Honda.??

Sorry not really answered your questions...just sent me reminiscing again. :blush: :blush: ;)

All the best,
               "Dori"

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 19:12 »
Sorry not really answered your questions...just sent me reminiscing again. :blush: :blush: ;)

All the best,
               "Dori"

No, that's quite alright Dori, reminisce away! That way, I find out about any potential fun I might have (eg bolt-type puller for the flywheel etc). I'm going to keep the ridger I've already got, investigate the idea of getting a proper plough and some weights so I can really break up the clay pan of my allotment, and get busy using some of my stockpiled recycled metal to make a harrow, possibly some metal wheels, and a frame for some transport wheels :)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 19:35 »
THe drum rotors you've mentioned on your posts, were they a home-brew or Honda OE?

A bit of both, i got the drums with a Job lot, but they had no blades. So I made some.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 21:08 »
Some pictures

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 22:26 »
And some film

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 23:05 »
Nice to see one running thanks, looks like the sort of machine I had hoped it would be. From looking at the manual it should come with 3 pairs of tines as standard (3 each side) but from the pics of the one I'm getting it only appears to have two, so I might be investigating obtaining/making some meself to give me a wider dig per pass.
That and getting a plough made/bought :D

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30 »
Well, I've been and picked it up (photo's to follow) and it's testament to Honda build quality that it's still able to run and function. Several nuts/bolts missing, exhaust rusted out (not stated in Ebay ad, but I didn't ask any questions about it's condition), one tine held on with and several P-clips replaced by nails, lower transmission case leaking a little oil.
On the good side, it started second pull, is exactly what I want and can be fixed up. A mate at work has just replaced his Wacker engine due to the old one putting a rod through the block, so I'll see if the silencer & fuel tank from that will fit this one. Then I'll have to get started looking for/making a plough :)
p.s. does anyone have a workshop repair manaul for this machine they could let me have a copy of please?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 15:16 »
Well, I've been and picked it up (photo's to follow) and it's testament to Honda build quality

Great.

The bottom seals cost me about £40 and are very speialized, and tricky to change,  the old ones are so difficult to get off. The exhaust on mine is from a 5hp briggs as the origonal is expensive. And standard G150 wont fit. But it sounds better than mine when i got it.

Good Luck

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 15:42 »
Any pics of the new machine yet Browser

Browser

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 12:34 »
Any pics of the new machine yet Browser

Sorry bud, daft things like having a house loft to re-organise and taking pics of my FLymo DM so I can get it on Ebay have taken precedence over the last 4 days.
Having taken a closer look at my new purchase, I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about the bottom of the transmission casing. At the back, where the oil drain plug is, there seems to be a gap between the two halves, which is full of oily crud. Plus which, the seals at the bottom of the casing really do look the worse for wear and will probably need changing (they are leaking oil at present). The transmission casing halves I can see look like thin pressed steel, are these actually the casing or are they some sort of cover plate?

xx
Honda F400

Started by dalemellor on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 08:55
by Vit
xx
honda f400 oil

Started by scarecrow941 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 09:03
by Browser
xx
Honda F400 rotavator -advice please

Started by strudelpoodle on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 22:49
by Vit
exclamation
honda f400 rotovator with G35 model engine

Started by fryup23 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 17:41
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.