Crop thefts!!

• 7 Replies

Green Thumb

• Domestic energy comparison
Crop thefts!!
« on: June 22, 2020, 20:39 »
Has anyone else had any problems with crop thefts this year?

In my 8 years (i think!) of having my allotment i had 1 incidence of someone taking some rhubarb, which i only knew about when the pinned a note and £5 to my fence to apologise!

This year i have had my rhubarb decimated, they even had the cheek to cut the tops off and leave them there, then today i went up and someone has helped them selves to all of my broad beans - they were not even ready as i had been picked the ripe ones 2 days ago.

If anyone has any ideas to discourage please let me know (have already considered camping out with a shot gun!!) 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Crop thefts!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 21:56 »
Oh how awful - I can't remember which site in York you're on, but it's always worth reporting any incidents to the police on 101.  Local councillors always look at the local police stats, and if a pattern arises then they can put pressure on the police to step up patrols etc.

I'm assuming that you're on an open site rather than locked.  You can't do anything on your plot that might carry the risk of injury to anyone who comes onto the plot, however much you might want to or feel that the culprits deserve it. 

Perhaps have words with neighbours, do a flyer round local houses if you are overlooked.  And, if you're on one of the ex-council sites, let YACIO know via your site secretary.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:41 »
You could always make a small sign on something waterproof that says "Concealed CCTV in use"and put it next to your plants that are getting pillaged. You don't have to get a trail camera... just take pleasure in the fact that you may cause some panic and possible head scratching.

Worse case scenario, they keep stealing your stuff and you have not lost anything (else).

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 13:07 »
Make a sign saying “Please don’t enter my plot I have just been diagnosed with Coronavirus”. That might give them something to think about!!
Keep digging

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 14:38 »
   Or a sign that says, "please help yourselves. Though to save water I regularly pee on the produce "

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 06:28 »
My sister is Secretary for her allotment society.  Over lockdown they have had theft of tools, vandalism, crop theft and finally arson.  They had 6 sheds that were set alight, I am reliably informed that the sight of fire men in full uniform  almost makes it worth being at the allotments at 4am. 

It has been reported to the relevant authorities and the advice they have been given is that they should organise some of their members to patrol the site.   

For once words failed her.  Like most societies they struggle to get support from their members,  she has visions of committee members on mobility scooters patrolling in the see small hours.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 13:06 »
And just what do they expect allotment members to do if they actually catch someone up to no good? You certainly can't give them a "good pitchforking" and even dunking them in the Comfrey Tub would result in repercussions from the Plod afterwards.

If a "miscreant" has entered the site with intent to steal or vandalize, the "patrolling member" would be putting themselves at serious risk of harm if they challenge the intruder. Whose insurance would be liable for resulting injury (or worse)?

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 16:01 »
My sister decided to take the advice with a pinch of salt (very large.glass of red wine).  The site has gates that are meant to be padlocked but more often than not aren't.   Everyone has been sent a reminder about keeping the gates locked/general security, but as she said it won't make a real difference.

xx
Allotment Thefts

Started by jaydig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 19:36
by jezza

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 45 queries.