Got'cha!

• 6 Replies

Paul Plots

Got'cha!
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:58 »
At about 9:30pm my daughter came downstairs to say she had been looking out of the window and had seen a chap try a car door over the road. He then crossed over and, she was fairly convinced, he tried another one on this side - both without success.

We rushed out and there was no sign of him as he had headed up towards the main road and disappeared in the gloom amongst all the other parked cars.

"Do you want to phone the police?"

We were uncertain... I didn't because it would have been up to my daughter as she was the one who witnessed the incident. She decided to go over the road to let her brother and sister-in-law know as it was their car door that had been "tried".

I stood by our front gate trying to decide which way the chap might have gone and then.........

...... I couldn't believe my eyes! Someone, fitting the description my daughter had given me, came toddling along back down the road on the other side from me. This time he wandered into a neighbour's property, up the drive and towards the side of a large black 4x4 vehicle. As he approached the passenger door the house security lights were triggered. He just stood there and slowly turned to face the light.. looked back at the car door then wandered back down the drive and off to continue his journey along the road.

Got'cha!! This time I had seen him so I belted straight indoors, grabbed the landline phone and called the police. I told them if they wanted to stand a chance of apprehending the chap they needed to get a move on. They informed me a car had been dispatched. (There had been 17 reported thefts from motor vehicles in the previous 24 hours so they were keen.....)

I gave a description of who and what I had seen and what had happened from the beginning once I knew the police were able to attend.

Once I put the phone down I went back out to see if I could spot the chap and then.......... I noticed my daughter-in-law and my daughter had come out and were further along the road on the other side from me.

Next I spotted the police car and my 6'3" son near by. The police had apprehended the chap... but my son had not waited around for someone to decide what to do or for the police to turn up. Instead he had walked along the road and spotted the would-be-thief wandering into yet another neighbour's drive.

My son followed him and asked what he was doing. There were various excuses given none of which made a lot of sense followed by a sudden decrease in his ability to understand English. The chap said he would go away and not cause more trouble. My son knew he wasn't visiting and that he didn't know the neighbour's name.

Next my son decided that the Stanley knife the chap was holding wasn't in the best place so removed it from the chap's hand without any opposition. Then the police arrived and took over.

The "suspect" told me he did not understand what I was saying when I addressed him and told him what I had seen him doing. The police had no qualms in searching him, accepting the knife that had been taken away and then driving off with him.

By 12:45am my daughter and I had given our statements. My son has yet to be asked as he went off to bed ready for work the following morning.

Apparently the chap admitted having an offensive weapon and having equipment which would enable entry into other people's property but denied theft.

He remains in custody I am told....... and we wait to hear what might happen next.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

snowdrops

Re: Got'cha!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 13:05 »
Well done to you & your family. We've not heard any more about the intruder my daughter had in her house a few weeks ago!☹️
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 19:02 »
Well done! Everyone should be more community minded....even if it means getting a mouthful of abuse from the teenager you have asked to  "please don't tear up the paper and drop it in the street!!!!" >:(

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:02 »
Well done you and family - and a pat on the back for the police for their prompt response!
ManicMum

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 15:50 »
We were relieved that chap was removed from the streets - at the very least it prevented someone waking up to find their car had been broken into.

The police tell us that, although he admitted carrying an offensive weapon and carrying items with intent, he denies stealing. The courts will decide soon whether or not to pursue this and whether we will be required to attend a court hearing.

Our problem will be: the nearest courts have been closed (cost saving measures) and the one now serving our entire area is not easy to reach on public transport - a couple of hours journey instead of what would have been 30 minutes on the bus :(

snowdrops - sorry to hear there has been no action regarding your daughter's intruder. It seems that the police are mostly only able to respond to an incident where they are able to arrive and apprehend and vanish again. :(

Mind you, saying that, we did see two police cars glide along our road the day after the arrest.... nothing since.

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 19:41 »
Well done need more people to do the same but he will probably get bail and be off , earlier in the year i had a maniack attack a car over the road at 2 in the morning with what looked like a rounders bat he was screaming at the car like some one was in i t there wasent , i called the police and gave him best description i could as he wasent facing me there was about 3 cars and a van came to get him didnt hear any more about it .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

grinling

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 20:45 »
CPS will see if it is worth taking to court. Travelling to and from are paid for an a taxi might be paid for. If someone gives a lift then petrol and parking will be paid.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 34 queries.