Naughty Blondie

• 7 Replies

NormandyMary

Naughty Blondie
« on: November 11, 2010, 15:32 »
In total, today, in the pouring rain and driving winds, we have spent about 3 hours trying to coax Blondie back into our garden. She had jumped the wire fence into a teeny little footpath, which is never used, between us and our neighbours field. We tried everything, even placing a thick wooden plank over the fence, and lowering it to around 10" so that she could walk the plank back home. Trouble was, she slipped around 'cos it was so wet. I tried rice and banana to tempt her to no avail. Finally, just now, OH (Who has a chest infection and shouldnt be outside) and I managed to get her to walk the plank by giving her grain and crushed sweetcorn.
She then went into the nesting box and started to make really funny noises. My guess is that she had an egg up the pipe and was desperate to lay. Ive confined them all to barracks now, so hopefully they will go into their house and get dry!
Chooks...just why do we love them so much??!!

Fisherman

Re: Naughty Blondie
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 18:25 »
Well NormandyMary you usually have me concerned about your birds especially recently with the unfortunate problems you had with your beloved cockerel. However you did make me laugh tonight with your "egg up the pipe" comment. Never heard that before :lol:

Hope they've all settled down.

Don't you just luv em.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 18:31 by Fisherman »

Junie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 18:34 »
What sort of chicken is your Blondie? We have a Blondie too! A beige Co-Nu.

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 20:18 »
So do we! She's the smallest and 1st out of her broodiness (Silky x Light Sussex).  Laid us 2 tiny wee eggs in 2 days.  Didn't expect any more til spring. Clever girl  :D  :D

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 09:17 »
So do we! She's the smallest and 1st out of her broodiness (Silky x Light Sussex).  Laid us 2 tiny wee eggs in 2 days.  Didn't expect any more til spring. Clever girl  :D  :D

Silkie/Light Sussex - sought after as broodies as they make good Moms and go broody easily! Also known as 'clockers'!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:01 »
Blondie is a Light Sussex. I have another LS who is called Miss Sprinkles, because she has little dots of black on her back, whereas Blondie is perfectly white.

Junie

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08 »
It seems to be THE name for light Sussex or X !! I have bucked the trend with my 2 ( well by boys have) Eggy and Tom Boy!  ( We did have Hastings and Crowborough - I was working my way around the county!)
My Blondie is lovely, if a little dippy! By no means the leader of the pack!!

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 18:21 »
Sassy, You're right there - Broody?? Er wot!!!!  :wacko: They only laid for about 2 weeks and then 1 by 1 off they went.  But 1 by 1 they are coming out of it again.  Hope this isn't going to be a pattern, but they are so pretty and such lovely wee things doesnt really matter.  Have been thinking about getting them to sit on a few eggs in the spring.  Just looking for non-broody chicks for them to hatch.  :D  :D

xx
Can they be naughty before first lay

Started by gracie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 22:06
by henamoured
xx
OH has been naughty

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 18:15
by NormandyMary
xx
Naughty new hens.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 20:09
by Foghorn-Leghorn
sad
My ducks are being very naughty Help

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 18:46
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 35 queries.