Help needed on bedding and covering for floor

• 6 Replies

rosegarden

Help needed on bedding and covering for floor
« on: May 24, 2013, 19:10 »
We have decided to have our house and run placed on concrete slabs rather than grass or soil and we are now thinking about what to put on the slabs in the run. We have been looking at Easibed- has anyone got any views on this? the run will be protected from the weather so should stay dry.  Also we were thinking of using HempBed-E on the floor of the coop - has anyone used this? any views would be appreciated since the arrival of the girls is getting closer every day!!!

splash101

Re: Help needed on bedding and covering for floor
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 19:35 »
I use easibed and its brilliant. I used to use dust free shavings but once they were wet, they stayed wet (and smelly).
I was a bit dubious about what it claimed to do but as it was the same price as the shavings (cheaper if i buy 3 bales) I thought I'd give it a go.
The moisture sinks to the bottom and the top layer stays dry. Even if the rain blows in the top layer soon dries.

You can use it in the coop as well.

You can also use it straight on top of soil. It wouldnt stay dry if it wasnt covered in the bad weather but it does stop the winter swamp feature in the garden.

There are a few similar products that go by different names.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 19:53 »
I have a similar set up and did use Nedz Bed Pro but the hens started eating it and I lost 2 of my girls due to blocked gizzards.   :(  I think it can be a problem with many types of bedding so I only put bedding in their nest box now.  They do free range for a lot of the day so they get to scratch around and dust bathe as well.

Next time I need some more I will be giving Easibed a try.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 21:46 »
Hi, I use wood chips on concrete slabs in our run. Wood shavings/shredded paper/ straw for house & nest box. The wood chip in the run works really well for us. You can hose it, disinfect it & turn if & it composts easily too. Chooks love to scratch around in it as well

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:14 »
We use miscanthus in the run and in the house. It is fab stuff and not expensive either. I buy mine in for £6.60 a bale.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11 »
We use miscanthus on the run floor too. We thought it might blow around too much but it doesn't. It's really easy to rake through. The hens seem to like it and we're really happy with it. We use citrus Bliss in the coop and nest boxes as it's very absorbent and makes the coop smell nice and fresh.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 21:37 »
I have used Easibed on concrete slabs for a while and it works well for us. Easy to poo pick & keep clean.
Helen

question
What floor covering to use?

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 12, 2010, 14:50
by Haychee
xx
Bedding and run floor

Started by arwen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 09:17
by JaK
xx
deep floor bedding

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 16:13
by karlooben
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 35 queries.