strimmer repaired

• 5 Replies

grendel

strimmer repaired
« on: June 29, 2012, 18:57 »
My petrol strimmer died when the gearbox at the head literally fell to bits, the person I had been given it by had not taken good care of it, the gearbox had never been greased. anyway it ran reasonably for a couple of years but earlier this year the bearings in the gearbox finally failed spitting ball bearings everywhere.
I tried to find a replacement head, but this no name brand strimmer was awkward, the shaft was bigger than most, and those that had the right shaft size, had the wrong number of teeth on the splines. anyway it has sat neglected in the shed with the gear head off, the old bearing shells were stopping the gears being dissasembled, it looked hopeless, - until yesterday that is, yesterday I applied heat to the casing and finally managed to get the shell out, this led to getting the gears out, and the inner shells were cut off with a dremel drill and a cut off disc, then to get new bearings, once again this cheap strimmer caused a problem, the nearest sizes were either too big, or too small. modellers lathe to the rescue, 2 new brass bearings were turned up, these can be remade as necessary when they wear out, finally I have my strimmer back, ready to face the weeds on the paths at my plots.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: strimmer repaired
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 19:00 »
A good job, well done! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 13:55 »
All tested and working nicely - even started up on the fuel left in the tank - 3 pumps, two pulls on choke, choke off and away it went.
I am happy now, I can do my paths.
Grendel

newington

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 17:01 »
hi grendel , congratulations on the strimmer.
ive joined this site after i googled mitsubishi TU 26 and your story came up. Ive got the same strimmer and cant find the parts i need anywhere . You live in Canterbury, I'm in Folkestone so theres a chance you may know of a local supplier who helped you with spares for yours. Any suggestions ?

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 17:13 »
A nice bit of shed tinkering can be just as satisfying as growing your own veg ! :)

grendel

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 17:32 »
well parts - thats where I came unstuck too, I couldnt find t he parts which was why I dissasembled and rebuilt mine, since then I used it several times then the gearhead broke again - the brass bearings I had made were worn through, so I then stripped it apart again and replaced thebrass bushes with thecorrect size bearings from ebay (only a few quid each). you can try getting a new gearhead from ebay but you take a chance on it having the correct shaft diameter and number of splines on he drive shaft (I know, I bought a spare gearhead and the drive gear had the wrong number of splines. you could try a local garden machine repair centre who might have something. - one important thing to remember is to use a proper gearhead grease or the bearings / gears will wear out very quickly.
Grendel

xx
advice on strimmer / hedge strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 09:32
by smud6ie
xx
Strimmer

Started by mdjlucan on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 23:09
by jezza
xx
Strimmer Help

Started by squiffy2 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 08:17
by amberleaf
xx
Strimmer

Started by seadart on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 11:48
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 35 queries.