Butternut Squash

• 21 Replies

engineer

• Experienced Member
Butternut Squash
« on: April 30, 2016, 20:47 »
Going to try some of these this year, never done them before therefore any growing tips would be most welcome, ie indoor or outside?

Mr Dog

Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 21:00 »
I'm only 15 miles or so from you and have successfully grown both Harrier (outside) and Butterbush (outside in pots and in the ground in the greenhouse) varieties. Neither get overly big with the Butterbush very compact except when I planted one in the greenhouse and it tried to take over! I didn't give them any special treatment and basically just let them get on with it.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 21:07 »
I sow mine individually in pots in the greenhouse. Then plant them out after any risk of frost has passed, I put three plnts in an 8' x 4' raised bed . I plant them in a slight bowl in the ground to try to direct any rainwater to the plant, not sure if it really helps.

I trim the ends of the shoots after about six leaves to encourage side shoots. Once a fruit has set on a side shoot I stop the shoot after a few leaves otherwise you end up with loads of foliage and little fruit. Start feeding when the fruits have set with a high potash fertiliser.  I allow about three fruits per plant.

Put something, I use slate under each fruit to lift them off the soil. Trim the foliage to keep it under control. When you harvest, cut the stem either side of the stem that leads to the fruit so the fruit has a 'T' handle, makes it easy to carry and also reduces the chance of any stem rot getting into the top of the fruit.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:25 »
Outside! Made the huge mistake of planting in the polytunnel once....triffid-like growth but no fruit. Outside I get lots of fruit, they love a well manured soil with added fertiliser (I use Vitax Q4), plenty of watering in dry spells and the sunniest spot you can give them, especially the further N you are  :) I also don't plant young plants out until mid May. They don't like cold.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:57 »
Thanks for the replies, I seem to be a little behind, putting the seed in propagator today, this year will be more of an experiment, early learning years.

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:14 »
Haven't sown mine yet, don't worry plenty of time.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 13:09 »
Thanks for the replies, I seem to be a little behind, putting the seed in propagator today, this year will be more of an experiment, early learning years.

Not at all! I only sowed all my squashes yesterday (I do quite a selection). I have found that delaying the sowing means that it is warm enough outside as soon as they get to a reasonable size and they can be planted out without sulking. My plants often overtake others who have bigger plants put out earlier...

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 13:33 »
I love butternut squash and want to grow some, so was interested to see this thread as they don't feature in my gardening book, nor was I able to buy any seeds in my local shops/garden centre. I haven't had time to see about ordering seeds on-line, and wondering if it's too late to try this year.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 17:47 »
Seems to be plenty available online, like this one--https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NPBRMXO?psc=1

Looking at the comments above seems it is not too late to sow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 19:10 »
Haven't sown mine yet

Me neither  ::)

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 19:51 »
Seems to be plenty available online, like this one--https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NPBRMXO?psc=1

Thanks for that link, Engineer. I've since done a bit more research, and I don't think I have enough space to grow them after all. It's a shame because I'd love my own supply.

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 20:08 »
If you make a frame you can train them upwards if ground space is at a premium. You need to make little hammocks to support the fruits so it doesn't collapse the 'vine'.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 22:19 »
If you make a frame you can train them upwards if ground space is at a premium. You need to make little hammocks to support the fruits so it doesn't collapse the 'vine'.

That's getting a bit beyond my abilities, I'm afraid - but thanks for the suggestion.

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 08:51 »

As you are in Doncaster, I would say far too early to sow.  I am in Bradford and will be starting mine off in a fortnight or so, planting out at the end of the first week in June.   It will be too cold plus a risk of frost before then.   They will either sulk in the cold or frost could kill them off completely without protection.  Later sowings always seem to catch up.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 13:17 »
I never seem to have any success with butternuts so I tend to grow Crown Prince along with some butternuts. Out of all the squash I've grown, the Crown Prince have the most butternut like flavour and texture and doesn't seem to mind colder summers.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut squash help.....

Started by Auntie Rain on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 12:12
by digital_biscuit
xx
Butternut Squash

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 11:47
by bobbyt
xx
Butternut Squash - yet again

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 22:42
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 30 queries.