Fox Attack - Chicken In Shock?

• 14 Replies

banty

Fox Attack - Chicken In Shock?
« on: February 02, 2012, 18:04 »
One of our Orpington Bantams was grabbed by a fox today. They are only let out in the garden when someone is out there or watching them and only in the middle of the day. My wife saw it happen and chased the fox away forcing to drop our hen. Who then proceeded to walk around a bit confused but seemingly completely in tact.

On examination she has lost some feathers from her back (not loads and not enough to see to the flesh). She is subdued and walking a bit gingerly but will eat grain from your hand and managed to get herself off her perch and up the ramp to roost with the others tonight. There is very small amount of blood on one of her feet but no evidence of where it has come from although one claw looks like it might have been bent back (now been blasted with Purple Spray).

I don't want to maul her around too much to examine her further (adding to her stress) and if it were summer I would probably just let her be tonight. However given its well below zero at the moment would she be better in a box indoors in the warm or is she better in familiar surroundings with her 'mates'.

kegs

Re: Fox Attack - Chicken In Shock?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 18:22 »
What a shock for all of you.  I hope an expert is along to offer advice soon but for what it's worth I'd say keep her with her mates.  If she isn't used to being in the house then this could cause her more stress whereas being in the coop as normal may well calm her down.  Good luck and I hope she's ok.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 18:40 »
I would agree with Kegs here.   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

banty

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 18:47 »
Thanks for your comments Kegs and Bantam Novice. That was my instinct too so glad you agree. Coop is all shut up a draft free so its as cozy as it can be in a wooden box at -4 degrees.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 19:53 »
I agree with both kegs and bantam novice.  My neighbour had a fox attack his hens, 2 were killed and 2 unharmed.  He took them indoors overnight and they died.  I am sure it was more the shock of being somewhere unfamiliar with strange noises/smells rather than the shock of the fox that killed them.   :(

Hope that your hen recovers quickly banty. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sizer247

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 20:12 »
sounds crazy but ive read that pro biotic yoghurt is good for stress in hens, it was for stress when moving hens but could be worth a try, i have fed it to hens an they really enjoyed it and handled the move fine i know its totally different but stress is stress an at worst its a bit of a treat for them,also hens are very funny if theres an old or injuryed bird sometimes they can be ruthless pushing the old/injured bird out an picking on it so i would keep an eye out for that just an opinion but worth a try an good luck hope she pulls through,pesky foxes !

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 23:24 »
One of mine was badly hurt by a fox and I kept her indoors in a proper hen box overnight til I could get her to a vet. It made it easier for me to keep an eye on her during the night. She pulled through after a course of antibiotics and rest.  I hope your girl does too  :)

banty

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53 »
She is still with us! Got herself down from the coop this morning and is drinking water like she has never seen it before, she is gaping a bit after drinking but not permanently. She's shuffling around a little but spending a lot of time just standing still. Showing a vague interest in food with the occasional peck at the floor. Will probably give it an hour or two to see how she goes and then try to give her a closer examination.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:00 »
That is good news banty.  She might just be keeping an eye out for the fox so is not as keen to feed.  You might find that if you are in the garden she can be tempted to eat while you keep guard.   :)

banty

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:35 »
She is going to keep us in suspense I think. Limping a little but looking quite bright at times and eating, but now gone off to the nest box. Not due an egg today so hope she's just taking some rest rather than going somewhere quiet for the un-speakable :-(

helens-hens

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26 »
If she is eating & drinking then that is always a good sign. It is bitterly cold today and the shock & injuries will have taken it out of her a bit so I wouldn't worry too much about her spending a bit of time in the relative warmth of the nest box.

Will keep fingers crossed she make a full recovery  :)
Helen

banty

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:16 »
She is still with us and laid an egg yesterday. She seems quite bright, eating and drinking but still walking gingerly. I have had a chance to look at her properly now she has recovered a little from the main incident. Not pleased with what I have found! She has a patch of feathers missing in the middle of her back about 5 cm across. There are also a couple of flesh woulds (previously covered with matted feathers) which I have cleaned and exposed with warm water. The are ouzing a little (yellow) so need some sort of treatment. I see it my options are clean the wounds and treat them myself with whatever I can get hold of - so purple spray, antiseptic cream etc or take her to the vet. I have no issue with going to the vet or spending the money but more concerned that the stress of the process will finish her off not the actual injury.

What do people think? What products can I get to treat her if thats the best thing to do? :(

kegs

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:44 »
I'd go the purple spray and cream route.  Also in a recent poultry mag (I think smallholder) there was an article about a chicken with a bad wound who took regular dust baths (more than normal) which helped the wound heal very quickly.

banty

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 15:03 »
'Chickened Out' of the DIY route if you pardon the pun. Vets were great though and have given wounds a good clean an prescribed anti-biotic (baytril). She has half the coop meshed off for just her to use for a couple of days, to keep her in the relative warth of the coop and away from 'inquisitive' beaks. I'll remove the divide at roost time so they can sleep together for warmth and see how we go. Still not convinced its going to be a happy outcome but have peace of mind that we are doing what we can for her. Cheers again everyone for the comments.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 15:24 »
Thanks for keeping us up to date banty, hope she continues to recover.   :)

xx
Chicken attack

Started by Pep on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:18
by bantam novice
xx
Hen in shock?

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 20:36
by newChickenMummy
xx
Nasty shock fox about

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 14:24
by daisy1990
xx
Im in a happy shock.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 00:36
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.