slugs

• 13 Replies

harry

slugs
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:46 »
Is it safe to use products containin metaldehyde on our crops. There seems to conflicting views. :mellow: :dry:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: slugs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16 »
The Growing Success Advanced slug pellets are apparently o,k. even for organic gardeners.  They use Ferric Phosphate which does not harm other animals, still works when wet and break down eventually to iron and phosphate which are nutrients. I used Slug Banish last year(from Victoriana Nursery). I chose that because Nemaslug are not recommended for the heavy clay soil and needs multiple applications.
I had some slug damage but not nearly as much as the previous year.

harry

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 12:10 »
This is quite an old post of mine, but i did decide to use the organic pellets. :happy: :D

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 22:06 »
I found the organic ones to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard so i went back to the nasty stuff. At least it works.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 23:32 »
Two organic ones that work are the diatomaceous earth, which is just microscopic silica shards that the slugs get cut to hell on, it washes out after a few good rainstorms, but is totally harmless, and the other is garlic barrier, also works well, but again needs renewing after a good dousing.

Please dont use chemicals, the nasty stuff kills hedgehogs and other wild animals.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47 »
Two organic ones that work are the diatomaceous earth, which is just microscopic silica shards that the slugs get cut to hell on, it washes out after a few good rainstorms, but is totally harmless, and the other is garlic barrier, also works well, but again needs renewing after a good dousing.

Please dont use chemicals, the nasty stuff kills hedgehogs and other wild animals.

Just be very careful not to breathe in the dust from diatomaceous earth -- those little fossilised critturs that cut up slugs are not good for your lungs  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:07 »
moose - where can I get 'growing success advanced slug pellets' from?  Slug damage in my part of the world (Worcestershire) is a Major problem.

harry

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47 »
moose - where can I get 'growing success advanced slug pellets' from?  Slug damage in my part of the world (Worcestershire) is a Major problem.

I've seen the above at my local homebase £3.99 have a look on their website. I'm certainly going to try it this year :blink:

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:43 »
Had a look at Homebase website and all they have is Bio Slug and Snail repellent - is that the stuff you refer to?
t

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 13:14 »
That's strange I've just checked the Homebase website and can't see that product, although they have got Bio Slug and Snail pellets which are the "traditional" slug pellets.

They do also have the "organic" version "Advanced slug killer" which is the one you want.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
Slug tip
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 13:54 »
For any pot grown stuff, I read this tip in Permaculture mag recently; turn the pot upside down and smear vaseline under the pot lip and maybe a little way down then sprinkle with salt.  They don't like the vaseline or the salt apparently - worth a try perhaps - I'm going to give it a go this year.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 14:31 »
Just got back to this post. My local garden centre sells them for £3.99 Garden Organic Catalogue has them at £6.95. Have a look at their catalogue on-line and you will see what they look like.

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 14:39 »
google 'growing success advanced slug pellets' there are plenty of suppliers -some offering discounts.  - Just ordered two 750gm pots.

harry

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 10:03 »
Had a look at Homebase website and all they have is Bio Slug and Snail repellent - is that the stuff you refer to?
t
I've just looked at homebase website and found it again £3.49 :wub:

xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 12:04
by m1ckz
xx
slugs

Started by celjaci on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 19:44
by strangerachael
xx
slugs

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 21:56
by jane1264
xx
slugs...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 20:13
by Christo

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 40 queries.