chain saw sharpening

• 9 Replies

ihusker

chain saw sharpening
« on: April 15, 2007, 22:09 »
My garden has a row of conifers about 100 yards long down one side which some wassock planted about 40 years ago as a hedge and didn't bother to prune them and they are now all about 30 feet tall. Anyway the farmer who owns the field next door asked me to prune them as he wanted to put sheep in the field and he says the leaves poison the sheep.
To cut a long story short, I pruned all 97 of them-took me two days and a day to burn all the branches. My chain saw is now getting a bit blunt. Some time ago I was given one of those Oregon chain sharpener tools-the one that clips on the bar and has a file in a holder. Unfortunately I didn't get the instructions with it, and as there are angles to set I haven't tried it out. If anyone out there has instructions for this I would be most grateful for a copy. Thanks in anticipation,     Ian

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
chain saw sharpening
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 22:24 »
B&Q used to sell these when I worked for them, you could go down to your local one, if they have them they might photocopy you the instructions for you I know I would have done. If not ask them for the suppliers address and you could contact them direct.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 22:33 »
:shock:  :shock: Two days without sharpening ??  I seem to remember sharpening many times per day (by eye).  I am thinking every hour or so.

The chain itself should have scribe lines on the teeth to give you the angle.

leeky

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 23:27 »
tell the farmer he is in his rights to cut the over hanging branches and that you dont want them back  :lol:  :wink:

penance

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:36 »
Quote from: "leeky"
tell the farmer he is in his rights to cut the over hanging branches and that you dont want them back  :lol:  :wink:

That is true in Britain, but i suspect not in France ;)

shaun

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 19:30 »
and if you upset the french farmers they will block your drive with there tractors and burn sheep on your front lawn :wink:

i pay to have mine sharpened its £6 a chain,i have tried sharpening it myself a few times but it goes blunt again in no time,when this chap sharpens the chain it last for ages
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

penance

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 20:53 »
I sharpen my own using the file carrier and a depth gauge set.
I find it fairly easy, but it was part of my training, TBH tho I think most people would be OK with manual sharpening if they had a demo.

ihusker

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 00:06 »
The trees have already been pruned so the French farmer is happy and anyway he supplies the village with home grown lamb and pork at a very reasonable price so we don't want to upset him do we :wink: . This chainsaw is about 10 years old and was given to me by a mate who is an agricultural contractor.Although it is old and the bar could do with replacing it would cut like a hot knife through butter. I've had it about 2 years now and it's not been sharpened in that time although it's cut down umpteen trees and I use it on a Portec saw horse to cut logs for the woodburner. I've got a new bar and chain for it but I'm loathe to use them while there's still life in the old ones and I'm keen to have a go at sharpening it myself. I think I might just try B&Q or Machine Mart and see if they would photocopy the instructions for me. It's worth a try. If you don't ask you don't get.
Thanks everyone for your hints and comments.

vegging out

chain saw sharpening
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:51 »
You need to get yourself one of these,http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22855&src=froogle..their much easier to use than the gadget you have,put the saw in a vice and give each cutter 2 or 3 strokes pushing the file away from you and give them a knock with the file handle to knock off fine burring after sharpening;try to keep each cutter the same size.When you have done that,take the bar off and feel for burs along the runners and file these off,this can make all the difference when cutting. :)

xx
Chain saw sharpened.

Started by Fen on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 22:16
by Swed
xx
Partner Chain Saw

Started by Alfie on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 20:13
by Alfie
xx
merry tiller chain case

Started by chumpy7 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 22:41
by shedmeister
xx
Flymo DM - drive chain slipping

Started by Jonny_c on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 12:11
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.