i need wife's for my pekin cockerels -large eggs layers not hybrids not blkrocks

• 7 Replies

dchubbuk

i have three hens two cockerels and a very understanding neighbor ! one boy has two hens the other one has one hen and a all they do all day is have a crowing competition !! i want them to have at least five girls each so that they will become so busy with them they wont have time to crow each other (we cant even let them see each other because one starts the other off so they are in different parts of the garden its a very big garden so it"s just as well ) i'm not new to keeping chickens i used to keep eighteen blackrocks but they are old and are now in retirement in another part of the garden ( i only have six left as they are nearly eight years old !! five are even still laying ) i want to try pure breed chicken instead of the hybrids will be interested to know if there is a pure bred chicken eggs the same size of the blackrocks

Helenaj

White Leghorns tend to lay a very large white egg, easily the size of a Blackrock and they are reliable egg layers also.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are the breeds of the cockerels though are you wanting to breed from them?

dchubbuk

hi both boys are buff bantums i'M not looking to breed just yet but may do in the future would like any color hens

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
If you are looking to breed (rehoming the cockerels of pure breeds is slightly easier with pure breeds) why not get Pekin bantam girls. This way they will be pure breeds and you can get them in lots of colours. The hens will also be the right size for your boys (easier for him rather than him having to climb up  :ohmy:;)
Staffies are softer than you think.

dchubbuk

hi i'm looking for hens for my bantum boys & looking into replacing my blackrocks with a pure bred breed as well as keeping the bantums the bantums are more of a pet and the black rocks are my egg layers but are now dying off so will replace them with another breed that has eggs the same size as the black rocks . i also have a couple of white stars which are lovley hens but their eggs r too small but r nice hard boiled with a salad the same as bantums . the reason i need large eggs is i have a special diet and if i don"t make it if can"t eat it thats from bread to cakes and ice cream&mayo and the bantums are just so small but i love my bantums hope any one can help

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
In which case don't hatch any fertile eggs then.
Why not get something like a Marans - they come in several colours and if you get a good strain you could get lovely dark brown shelled eggs. My cuckoo Marans is an English version so she is clean legged and her eggs are no different in size to my blackrocks eggs. Obviously in their first laying season the eggs will be smaller but they do get larger  :)

dchubbuk

Thanks for your help joyfull i will be on the look out for some maran hens soon .i want to get the female bantums first and then start looking for maran hens maybe later on in the year or spring next year

xx
Two Pekin cockerels!

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 12:40
by Anndee
xx
can i put frizzle/pekin bantam with LAYERS + PICS ADDED

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 19:57
by Jellyhead
xx
cockerels and layers pellets

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 21:18
by bantam novice
xx
Culling Adult Cockerels or large birds

Started by kizza on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 11:42
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.