What's your drink at the moment??

• 7 Replies

Plot46

What's your drink at the moment??
« on: October 27, 2014, 04:56 »
I've had a quick look back over the threads and can't see anything similar. ???

So what's your preferred tipple of the day?? Over this weekend we're now 2 bottles of Rhubarb down, 1 Elderflower, and started the penultimate 2013 Banana. Got to get a load of ripe nana's and make this one again.

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: What's your drink at the moment??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59 »
We've been getting through some fresh/young blackberry wine made just a few months ago. There was a vat I did with twice the amount of berries and that came out so much nicer - so much so I'm not enjoying the 'normal' recipe so much. I know I'm going to have to double up at least next year.

I've got some strawberry, rhubarb, gooseberry, banana, cider and some other berries (labels are lost) but after a quick taste test last night, I think these need a few more months. After reading some advice that single variety wines are flat, I'm inclined to agree and am going to experiment with blending.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Plot46

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08 »
I also made Strawberry, Raspberry, and Whitecurrant wines this year, you could have a point about blending.
What Banana recipe did you use?, I've done 3x1gall DJ's and they all differ quite a lot.

tinyallotment

• Size isn't everything
    • Tiny Allotment
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53 »
I have given up alcohol for a month so no drinks for me until saturday.

I do have a home brew kit I was given for my birthday I will have a go at this weekend

paul

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19 »
We are drinking Aldi exotic fruit juice WOW and at the moment it seems to be the nicest wow we have made.

Kevin67

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:23 »
@Plot46 - I don't use recipes or notes, I'm afraid. It's one of my serious shortcomings that I need to address.

However I do know that I used in kg for lbs in banana's so 4kg of nana's and 3kg of sugar went into 4.5 litres of water. The result was a thick, alcoholic syrup that went well when watered down with lemonade.

I'd do it again in a breath.

One of my disappointments this year was to follow some recipes exactly and the result is a drinkable wine that is as insipid as cheap commercial wine while double the berries made for a flavour that is amazing!

@bravemurphy - I'll give that a go - I'm off to Aldi later this week and a DJ crying out to be used. The thing for me about WOW, though, is it's so sweet as to strip the enamel off your teeth.  :wacko:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:25 by Kevin67 »

Plot46

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 04:55 »
We are drinking Aldi exotic fruit juice WOW and at the moment it seems to be the nicest wow we have made.

There are so many variations of these fruit juice "wines" one of the best I made early on this year was a pomegranate one. It came out brilliant, I was sorry that I only made a gall. Now I have more time I must get going on this type of fruit wine. 8)

@Plot46 - I don't use recipes or notes, I'm afraid. It's one of my serious shortcomings that I need to address.

However I do know that I used in kg for lbs in banana's so 4kg of nana's and 3kg of sugar went into 4.5 litres of water. The result was a thick, alcoholic syrup that went well when watered down with lemonade.

I'd do it again in a breath.

One of my disappointments this year was to follow some recipes exactly and the result is a drinkable wine that is as insipid as cheap commercial wine while double the berries made for a flavour that is amazing!

@bravemurphy - I'll give that a go - I'm off to Aldi later this week and a DJ crying out to be used. The thing for me about WOW, though, is it's so sweet as to strip the enamel off your teeth.  :wacko:

On the notes...never use to update them so they became useless. I do tho now in a small notebook. ;)

The Banana recipe I used was from Jack Keller It's recipe number 1. This wine was such an eye opener, we tried it after 3 months...  :(    then again at 6 months... ;) at the 9 months mark... We have one bottle left and the memsahib as marked that one
down for crimbo.

On the sweetness of your WOW..did it ferment all the way down?? we both like our wines just a tad sweet, this side of the fence from dry. That's why I have to do a little back sweetening at times.

Kevin67

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16 »
Thanks for the reply, Plot46 - and the links - I'll check them out right now!

Yes, I ferment all the way down to 0.9 but it's the added sweeteners in the juice that are not fermentable and so remains sweet. I'd like to get a supply of juice that is "just is" but I guess all this health and safety, the producer needs to add stuff in.

xx
Sasprilla drink

Started by Tessh on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 22:50
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Easiest Drink

Started by scentedstock on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 21:20
by David.
xx
Dooley type drink

Started by green fingers on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 18:44
by arugula
xx
Drambuie type drink

Started by agingchick on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 17:19
by Cazzy

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.