Dig for Victory leaflet 1

• 4 Replies

makedoandmend

Dig for Victory leaflet 1
« on: February 12, 2019, 19:25 »
Folks,
This leaflet offers a planting plan for "a family" for 12 months, however nowhere does it say how big the family is.....

Can anyone enlighten me? I assume it's for four, don't know how big the average wartime family was.

I'd like to attempt this in the coming 12 months.

Suggestions regarding Wartime varieties would be most welcome.

thanks,

Makedo.

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Dig for Victory leaflet 1
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 21:50 »
I don't know if peas are on there, but Alderman is an old variety, accordimg to gardenfocused it dates back to the 1890s. Everyone grows it on our site as it does well in the heavy clay and apparently tastes superb.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 21:53 by DHM »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:22 »
Most families in those days were 2 plus 2 children, or 5 if Grannie was still alive.
Suggested seed varieties from those days, here https://wartimegardening.wordpress.com/tag/old-varieties/

These people are doing the same thing and show/explain their seed choices, https://lifeonpigrow.blogspot.com/2013/02/seeds-from-past-wartime-garden.html

The thing to remember is that continued breeding has given us plants that are stronger, and resistant to some pests and diseases, and crop and taste better. 
So old isn't necessarily better, you would obviously want to avoid F1 seeds, but think carefully about other varieties you already grow and like. Not worth the experiment if you don't like eating the veg you've grown :D

Good luck! and let us know how you get on..

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 17:08 »
when we took on our first allotment some 40years ago we had 4 kids we tried to grow what we could full time work seemed to get in the way sometimes but with a little help from my father in law what we grew was put on the table and what was spare went in the freezer for a later date including veg and  fruit raspberry strawberry apple plumbs

now all the kids have grown up and left home  there's only two of us but we still grow enough to eat in the season and freeze the spare veg for winter use we had 5 freezers but managed to get that down to 4 and I hope to cut that down to 3 this season one  freezer was full of strawberries plumbs and raspberry because it was such a good season for those fruits this year so waste not want not comes to mind

I look at it like this it takes all your time and trouble to grow it don't  throw it  :D

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 17:39 »
Being our 1st full year on the plot, we're growing a bit of everything and seeing what we like and what we end up with too much of etc then plan to grow more for our actual family needs the year after. My neighbour says if you have to buy veg you've failed but I don't agree.

To feed a family all year round without buying in other veg from time to time would be unrealistic for us as we have no space for storage, or freezers so for next year the plan is to look at what we use and don't use thos year and then tweak to our own demands.

Good luck with the wartime plan, and keep us posted how you get on.

xx
RHS slug / snail leaflet

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 18:24
by Yorkie
xx
Dig for victory

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 22:30
by sloegin
xx
Dig for Victory -homework help

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 22:32
by brinylon
xx
Arran Victory

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2009, 10:25
by woodburner

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 36 queries.