Not sure what food to buy next

• 2 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Not sure what food to buy next
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:18 »
I have 2 cream legbars 17 weeks and 2 buff orpingtons 14 weeks. Non laying yet. My sack of growers is getting low and I'm not sure what to get. The sack will have lasted just over 3 months by the time it empties. Do I buy another and make them wait for layers if they do start to lay or buy layers now. They don't eat that much of the pellets as they mainly free range. They are also quite a bit bigger than the other chicks that were hatched at the same time. (my friend has them and they don't free range , the difference in size is really noticeable).
Of course I could buy smaller bags of growers but that isn't really cost effective though I would if i had to.
I think it will be an issue anyway as from what I have read I may have a long wait for the orps to lay so in theory they will go on layers early. Your thoughts will be gratefully received

HarperHen

Re: Not sure what food to buy next
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 14:24 »
Pure breeds can take up to 36 weeks to lay, other may take from 20 weeks. It depends on the weather too, so it's nice and warm right now and plenty of daylight. I would buy another bag of growers and give them that even when they start laying. Then put them onto the layers.

You can also give them baked and crushed egg shells in their growers if they do lay to give extra calcium.

Sassy

Re: Not sure what food to buy next
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:41 »
Just a though. If you were to buy growers again the bag would not last as long as the birds will be eating more now plus a lot of the goodness will be going out of the pasture now encouraging them to eat more pellets. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
food changes

Started by Robin Redbreast on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 18:10
by Jellyhead
xx
cat food????

Started by violet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 22:20
by violet
xx
Dry dog food

Started by Cat on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 14:33
by too many girls
xx
Food ... how much and of what?

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 13:02
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.