cockadoodles-ish........

• 5 Replies

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
cockadoodles-ish........
« on: August 13, 2009, 16:31 »
Eight weeks ago tomorrow, I bought 10 x 3-5 day old chicks.  My husband and I were able to hold 4each in our hands and the vendor held the other two until we put them in our carrier.
Last week, I thought I heard the last part of a cockaDOODLE, two days in a row!  This morning it was a definite cockadoodle - admittedly not the rasping mature crow, but an unmistakable crow.
Is this rather young, or normal?  They were bought as table birds and I hope to let them have at least 16 weeks of life, before saying bye-bye to the cockerels.
Although hatched in Gloucester, the eggs apparently came from France.  We were told they were RIR-type and Sussex-type.  The RIR-type look similar to favarolles, I think, but the Sussex are all white.
Just curious really.
cathangirl.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 19:59 by cathangirl »

Vi

Re: cockadoodles-ish........
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:51 »
I'm guessing it's about the right time.  This morning our little cockerel tried crowing, he's around 9 or 10 weeks old as well.   It sounded funny. all run together without the seperate cock-a-doodle-doooooooo it was more of a ahhhh-ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... hehehehe... had to giggle... We'll have to find him a new home soon.

I'm not sure the breed of mine though (he's a stray), he's white with some brown patches and very light tan neck.

Vi

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55 »
It sounds about right.  Both my boys started crowing between 8 and 10 weeks

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 09:24 »
Thank you for the replies.  I thought he was a little bit advanced for his age, but maybe not.
Spotted which one it was this am.  He has the biggest comb and wattle of the lot too.

Something else I spotted this morning, at 7am, was a neighbour prancing around his garden in the nude!  Not a pretty sight - here's a clue - we call him Tweedle-dum and his wife is Tweedle-dee.  We keep forgetting their real names.  Oops.

cathangirl

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13 »

haha, what on earth was he doing prancing around in the nude  :lol:   tell us more  :D

Vi

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:33 »
Yikes!! do you really want to know???? :tongue2:

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.